Thread: clutch

clutch

Greetings everyone. I recently purchased a '52 CJ3A. It was difficult to go into first, so I adjusted the clutch by shortening the cable at the fork. Now the clutch is "non-existent." I've adjusted as much as I can. Am I now looking at a new clutch?

Thanks!
    Rick

Rick,

Was there much free play with the pedal to start with, and any now? With shortening up the throw, the clutch probably isn't fully engaging the flywheel. To check for proper clutch performance, you can pull the transmission cover, then pull the inspection cover on the bell housing. You can then start the engine, and watch the clutch operation. You can press the clutch in and see if the pressure plate stops.

If none of this helps, I can stop by later this weekend and see what you have going on. Worse comes to worse, I have a tranny jack.

Thanks! I’ll pull those and have a look. And yes, I. Would LIVE to hire you to help! Although I leave Sunday on a trip.

If you will be around Saturday morning, I will have some time to see what you have going on.

Outstanding!!!!! Yes, I'll be here.

You can send your address through a text message. I'll let you know when I am on my way Saturday.