Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nellybelle progress and problems...

Good Lord... After reading what information I could find regarding the horn wiring, I'm putting a button on the dash and calling it good for now. What a crazy mess that whole thing is to pull the whole column apart and such. Nope. Not gonna do it. Project for another year. Nellybelle's got a trolley bell on the floor anyway!

You can mount the horn button up under the dash to not detract from the original look. The original horn set up isn't as bad as it sounds. The horn button spring is usually weak or broken. Then the wire can be broken. The wire can be checked for continuity. If the wire is not broken, then the contact can be checked at the lower part of the steering column. The wire can be replaced by either soldering the end of the new wire to the end of the old wire, then pulling the new wire through. If the old wire is broken, run a piece of filler rod up from the contact, then attach the new wire to the filler rod and pull through. Haines garage has a good step by step pictorial and instructions to follow. It isn't as hard as it seems.

I was checking Haines out. Pretty explanatory. Still looks like a good bit of disassembly required. I know the wiring to the steering wheel is gone. Not sure about what's inside the column, the brass sleeve ring, brush, or anything else. Not a huge deal to dig into it a little more, but a button will probably suffice until I get time to dig deeper.

This morning on ewillys, there was an add for a commissioned replica of Nellybelle for sale on Craig's List. It was commissioned by Dusty Rogers, Roy's son.

http://www.ewillys.com/2019/02/22/19...reek-az-15000/

pretty much self explanatory, two kinds of mechanical works long thin rod that goes to horn button on bottom of steering gear and short one, both are available and no the steering column does not have to come out but maybe a new rod and mechanical connection needs to be replaced

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/complet...ts-52-66-m38a1

this is for m38a1 but you get the idea