Thread: Pickup paint color

Pickup paint color

I have a 1949 Willys pickup that I am wanting to paint. I want to paint it in it's orginal color. Is there any way to find the paint code for my pickup?

What Color for a '49 Truck?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoehne View Post
    I have a 1949 Willys pickup that I am wanting to paint. I want to paint it in it's original color. Is there any way to find the paint code for my pickup?
    An easy and fun way is to get a Kaiser-Willys catalog. In the front there are pages of paint chips and the fancy names of those paint colors (a 1949 truck could have been Chesapeake Gray, Manila or Tunisian Red or even Metallic Bronze - or a dozen or so others). The VIN on trucks of that era did not have a paint code hidden in it as do today's VIN's. Look under the headlight bucket tabs or under the seat for the best chance of finding the original color.

When we did the '48, it took the wives to decide between Tunisian Red and Manila Red from the one surviving area of paint we could trust. The color turned out to be an AMC color from our local paint broker.

Post us a picture ...

Thanks. I will be submitting some photos after I get it back from the body shop.