Thread: Hello from Dallas, TX area, restoring a 43(?) MB

Hello from Dallas, TX area, restoring a 43(?) MB

My father won this Jeep in a raffle in 1962. It has been in our family ever since. We have just started the restoration and have it at a shop here in the Dallas area for mechanical work.

My biggest question is identification. We are pretty sure this is an MB. One title document says 43 but the other says it was first titled in 47. Given the pictures attached here, can anyone help me confirm this?

Luke
    Attached Images Attached Images

Welcome brkinspdr,

From what I can see from the two photos, your Jeep is a WWII era Jeep. It looks to have the dash glove box on the passenger side, and the grill looks correct. Other items to look for are the storage bins on the rear fender wells, and the indents on the driver's side body for the shovel and axe. I can not tell if it is a Ford GPW, Hotchkiss, or a Willys MB, but here are some cosmetic differences;

http://www.classicjeeps.co.uk/differ...between-jeeps/

The title will probably say that it is a 47 because that is when it was sold as surplus from the government. The government doesn't issue a title when they purchase a vehicle, so they issue a SF 97-1 form for the state to issue a title. Being that all these vehicles were purchased in huge lots, it is a lot simpler to just go with the year released from service.

Keep us up to date on your progress. It is a rather good looking Jeep.

Thank you for your response! That link is extremely helpful, will have to do some investigation when we get it back from the shop.