Thread: Ring & Pinion Pre-Load Shimming

Hybrid View

Moving forward, easy question.

Well men, I did it. I’m shelving the KW axles and have sourced 2 NOS axles, along with 2 NOS knuckle seals. I really think those are cool, the 2 halves with the paper gasket, hard to find from what I understand.
    This leads me to the easy question. Shouldn’t a gasket go between the knuckle and axle spindle. I’m pretty sure there is none based on axle diagrams but that seems weird to me. With all that knuckle lube sloshing around in there, that seems like a good spot for a gasket.
    Attached Images Attached Images

No gasket Tom. The lube should not be sloshing around. If it rises that high it will travel past the shaft and into the axle tube. It is important if you are going to fill the knuckles, to use the right lube. Something like this. https://torqueking.com/product/777/c...4-front-axles/ . The right lubricant is very thick with a very high viscosity. It is the consistency of room temperature honey. It is similar to what should be in the steering box. A "00" weight so to speak.

This helps with the dripping knuckles. Only eliminating that type of lubrication will cure it completely. If you use sealed U-Joints and re-pack the pivot bearings periodically, filling the knuckle is unnecessary.