Thread: Oil Pressure

Hybrid View

I'll ask the question that everyone else is too shy to ask. In the spec sheet, it says:

Maximum Safe Oil Pressure 20 lb. @2000 rpm. (35 mph.)
    Normal Oil Pressure 35 lb. @ 1700 rpm.

How can the "Maximum Safe Oil Pressure" be lower than the "Normal Oil Pressure".

And, yes - do get a good mechanical gauge to check the oil pressure down at the block where the sensor mounts. Dash gauges are "FOR REFERENCE ONLY".

It does need to be a little more specific. The "Safe" oil pressure is indicative of "How Low it can Go" safe being clarified as do not operate below this number. What is interesting is although they are giving you the "Safe" number, it is at 2000 rpm or (35 mph). This is a sign of the times. Oil pressure on the motors varied wildly under 2000 rpm due to manufacturing tolerance capabilities. When you wanted to see if it had good oil pressure you revved it a bit to get the pump to spin up. Low oil pressure at idle was common and as long as there was some, it wasn't usually a concern unless things were "Knocking" at idle. Oil pressure under load is much more important.The clearances in the engines were very loose by today's standards. There was significant "splash' lubrication going on in the crankcase. Now with the advent of hydraulic lifters things changed. If you don't have enough oil pressure at idle with hydraulic lifters, the lifters will collapse and not function properly.

So, at 2,000 RPM, I need at least 20 PSI, but I should have about 35..?

It might better have been called "Minimum Safe Oil Pressure at 2000 RMP"

I think I understand better now. Thanks Doc Dana ...