Thread: Hot mess, a 1967 CJ-5 restoration

Hybrid View

Thanks for that input Bob (please let me know if you prefer bmorgil, I don't want to offend anyone).

Everything you said is correct about the u-joint not having a zerk. I was only hesitant because the bottom of a sealed u-joint generally has a boot or other seal at the bottom of the cap. Here is a better picture that you can see the needle bearings exposed at the base of the cap. No boot exists on these.

20210605_152304.jpg
    Last edited by davide; 06-08-2021 at 01:50 PM. Reason: typo

Whoa! Glad you sent that photo (and I put my glasses on). Those are original. The seal was removed and the joint was to run in a lube bath. It will quickly burn up if the knuckle runs low on lube or runs in contaminated lube. The sealed U-Joint is a Spicer 5-260X.

You can call me anything but late for dinner.... been waiting to use that one!
    Last edited by bmorgil; 06-08-2021 at 07:06 PM.

I picked up a 15 tooth speedo gear and threaded bushing as it was missing in my Dana 18, single shifter t-case. I can get the gear in the transfer case and hand tighten the retainer bushing all the way down. I expect to see the end of the speedo shaft, where the square speedo cable goes into it turn, but I don't. The speedo drive gear is inside the transfer case and I do see it turn when I turn the output yoke. I can barely see the mate between the drive gear and the speedo gear as well (when the retainer bushing is out). So I am at a loss on why the speedo gear isn't turning.

I called the store I purchased it from and asked what the difference was between the 3 different 15 tooth gears they offer. The answer I got was, "a 15 tooth speedo gear is a 15 tooth speedo gear. They are all the same". The difference on their Website was model specific and I did verify that what I ordered is not what they sent me Is he correct in his statement? Oh yeah, of course he does not have what I specifically ordered.

There are Stewart Warner casting numbers on these shafts and the one I received was 448162 that is applicable for SW/SD/PU models.
    Last edited by davide; 06-09-2021 at 05:32 PM. Reason: typo