Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23313233

Thread: My first vehicle! 1956 CJ5

Sometimes you have to work with what yo have. If you can heat the bracket and "fit" it, that would be my choice. On mine I had one bad stud. I removed the old stud from the bracket and replaced it by welding in a new stud. You could repair your old bracket also and save the money on the one that doesn't fit.

You can do either that Bmorgil said. In my opinion, since you already have the new mount handy, clean the frame really well and start at one end welding the new bracket in. As you hear up the bracket during the welding, you can close up the gap with a C clamp. I'm pretty sure that's how it was done from the factory.

Thanks guys, I'll try bending it to fit, and welding it.

Saturday I finished cutting of the last old shock mounts. And started making a rear bumber. I got some c channel and have it mostly ready to go, just need a few more holes drilled. And patched a couple spots on the frame that were getting thin.

I also got the frame painted. Just quickly wire bushed to remove any loose debris, then brushed on some tractor paint. I'll probably paint the axles too, but I can always do that when the tub is on. I just wanted to protect the frame from rust and keep dirt from building up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You are definitely getting the job done there 56'! You have it down to where you can perform any repair you need to do. Your welding skills get better everyday! You have to love it when you get the frame all cleaned back up. That's the foundation of the job.

I'm liking your rear bumper. Looks great!

"... Do you think I should pull it off and do so..."

While you have it apart, I'd do it.

The Milodon thermostst is made of non-obtainium by elves in never-never land or far-far away:

"Not Available At This Time

This product cannot be ordered at this time. Future availability is unknown. We apologize for the inconvenience"

Hahaha! Man that thing is hard to find now. It is available from other sources under some other names but basically, it is a RobertShaw.

https://flowkoolerwaterpumps.com/pro...ree-thermostat

https://www.amazon.com/EMP-Stewart-C...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Quote Originally Posted by LarrBeard View Post
    "... Do you think I should pull it off and do so..."

While you have it apart, I'd do it.

The Milodon thermostst is made of non-obtainium by elves in never-never land or far-far away:

"Not Available At This Time

This product cannot be ordered at this time. Future availability is unknown. We apologize for the inconvenience"

I think ill try drilling it for now. and see what it does. What do you think, maybe 1/8 inch?

Yes 1/8" is the size. The purpose of the hole was to help let the air past a closed thermostat, preventing steam pockets.