Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hi, new bloke here, from the UK

gmwillys

Well this one on eBay lo0ks like the real deal, but with repo being so good these days, its hard to know

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/126025425591

The grill is the signature Jeep part. If you can get an original, it will be heavier and the way they were stamped was such that a discerning eye will be able to tell an original. On the original ones I have seen, the curvatures of the stamping are much more subtle. The steel is usually much heavier. I would always endeavor for an original grill. However if you cant get one the repro's are getting pretty good.

I have even found a Jeep on eBay that has a slat grill
    But he wants a top price it
    I dont think he will sell it

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/145211705373

Top price is correct. Maybe if Patton or Field Marshall Monty once rode in it, then maybe. I studied that Jeep for a bit, and I'm pretty certain that the frame is original, but the tub and fenders are reproduction. It's just too nice underneath. The frame and drive train has some dings and signs of wear, but not bad for being 81 years old.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 07-28-2023 at 11:07 PM.

gmwillys

You know more about Jeeps than I do, so I bow to your superior knowledge

I wouldnt have known any of that

I am begining to wonder what you would think of my Jeep

I will speak for gm, and tell you on this forum we love all the jeep projects! They definitely don't have to be perfectly correct to have one heck of a lot of fun with them. There are so many repro parts available for that very reason. They are fun to restore, hot rod, pretty up, lift, modify, just get it running and so much more. When they look like a Jeep and they go and stop or, you are trying to get them to go and stop, their a Jeep welcome on this forum.

bmorgil well I am off to a Military show next weekend

I know everyone will be looking at the Jeeps on display, taking pictures, comparing them

There are always lots of Jeeps at these shows (along with Land Rovers, Tanks, trucks, British, American, German, even Russian T34 tanks

I expect usual comments about my Jeep, I expect kids asking me if they can sit in it while their parents take photos

I dont get dressed up for these events, but there are plenty that do

I am not going to fit that slat grill (yes I did buy it) until I get back

My next search is for an alternator that loks like a generator

I have found one company (not far from me) that might be able to sort me out

It will take a trip to them so they can see my Jeep

https://www.accuspark.co.uk/

As I have said before I am trying to get my Jeep to look as good as possible

Speedometer Repairs/Overhaul

"Nothing being sent or bought from the US is cheap any more

From what I can gather this spedo is an original, so very reluctant to replace it"

If you should decide to use Bob's Speedometer, the unit you send him will be rebuilt. It will be your original unit unless you authorize him to do a swap with another original unit. He did the instrument cluster work on the '48 truck - it did take several tries because there was a subtle issue - but he took care of it very promptly without any additional charges or quibbling over whose fault it might have been.

Your project is great work in progress. At Military shows, let the kids sit in the Jeep, let them "drive" and blow the horn. At car shows over here in the colonies, people will put a sign on their showy cars; "Don't touch me - I'm not that kind of car".

I have put a sign on the truck; "Go ahead, ask to sit in me - I like the attention." Jeeps are meant to be enjoyed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

LarrBeard

Thanks for your reply, I did look at this company, but its in the US and sending anything over there is ridiculously expensive and returning it isnt going to be any cheaper

I'll stick with it for a while, it doesnt eat any thing and it works, kind of

I like seeing kids in my Jeep, Dads taking pictures (its not just boys, girls like climbing in there as well) answering questions about it, on the topic of the horn, I changed mine to a decent horn, the one that was in there was a nasty copy and it was very harsh, this one is a lot sweeter

I made up some flyers to put on the hood of my Jeep, so when it was open, people could see the work and progress I made of bringing it up to this condition (this was another suggestion by my wife)

This has caught on now, I'm seeing more of them

I dont think people had seen and engine in such poor condition and still running

Flyers and plaques are almost required at the car events here. LarrBeard has a real nice setup. I agree with your Wife, excellent suggestion. Few realize what it takes to bring them back or, simply keep it running.