Thread: T84 rebuild or swap out?

T84 rebuild or swap out?

I have a 1960 DJ3A with a T84 that leaks and grinds going into 1 and 2 (though I think it’s “supposed” to grind going into 1). The bad style E brake also sort of sucks. I have tinkered with it to no end and it’s mediocre at best.

Is the swap to a T-90 a direct swap or will I be getting new driveshafts? How about E brake? Is this a direct swap? Any arguments to support keeping the 84? Will rebuild it this winter if there’s no major reason not to.

T90 seems to be much more available and supported in the aftermarket.

Thank you
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hahah, yes if you are moving it will grind going into first. The E-Brake has been erroneously named "bad". They work real well when correctly installed, adjusted, maintained and cleaned. I don't think you will find any better way to put an E-Brake on there economically.

The T-90 will go right in. It is larger. It has a much taller shift cover and will require the T-90 floor hump. You have provided the best argument, if you cant get the parts you need for the T-84, go with the T-90. Both are very durable transmissions, the T-90 is stronger. I would say tear the T-84 down and see if it needs all the parts or just some. That might help sort it out.

The T-90 is much more available in all aspects.

Try pulling the t 84 apart. You never now what could be wrong. It could just be something simple like a sinchro etc. That's a lot cheaper than a whole new transmission. Or if its serious then get a t 90.

Ok I see various levels of rebuild kits out there that seem to be pretty available plus I have a mill/lathe for anything that might need to be made.

Am I correct in my assumption that the 90 uses a different crossmember?

My rig is a Frankenstein so I am not worried about anything being authentic or “correct” if you know what I mean.

Yes it is a different cross member. I think the T90 sets a little lower and a little further back. The clutch linkage will also need a look Basically get the parts from a newer 3A or 3B.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    Yes it is a different cross member. I think the T90 sets a little lower and a little further back. The clutch linkage will also need a look Basically get the parts from a newer 3A or 3B.
    Ok thanks- I prob spend as much time reading and researching any little project on this thing as I do actually doing the work lol