Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Master Cylinder Locate

Master Cylinder Locate

Hey Guys and Girls.......I'm putting together my "46 CJ2A and have to install master cylinder....My problem.........The PO has cut off the original part of frame where the master mounts. I have the tie bar that goes from master to the pedal mount rod but it seems like not enuf travel on the pedal and the arm hits the master when all the way down..
    Does anyone have any pictures of just how everything fits in that area? How far away does the master sit from the edge of frame..
    I'm using the original (new) single line master with the threaded hole in front mounting hole..
    Any help will be appreciated. Thanks, Dave

Hello David! Here are a few pictures. Maybe someone has got one torn down they can give you some close ups and dimensions on. You may wait to check and see if someone within driving distance has a CJ you can crawl under with a tape measure. In some of the attached photo's, the frame is upside down.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks bmorgil.....If anything, It looks like my brake pedal lever is not bent as much as yours...Mine could have been modified(?) by the PO to fit the master cylinder he had...He had made up (poorly) a bracket to fit an end mounted cylinder and cut off all the original stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Klein View Post
    Thanks bmorgil.....If anything, It looks like my brake pedal lever is not bent as much as yours...Mine could have been modified(?) by the PO to fit the master cylinder he had...He had made up (poorly) a bracket to fit an end mounted cylinder and cut off all the original stuff...
    I have another question.. I'm going to weld a 1/4" plate to the frame to mount the cylinder...Does the one bolt holding the cylinder go all the way thru to the outside of the frame? Then the front one thats threaded into the cylinder come from outside the frame? Are there spacers that would then be inside the frame? I'm thinking of buying a new brake lever, then I would know that I have the correct one?
    Dave

Hang on David, I am going to crawl under there and take a few picks. Ill try to get a reference for you. gmwillys might jump in here. He probably knows right where the go. He has repaired/restored quite a few frames.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 10-30-2023 at 05:16 PM.

Included are some photos of a few different frames with the brake master cylinders installed.

The link below has a close up of the orientation of the master cylinder.

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/t...opic48754.html
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gmwillys; 10-31-2023 at 12:14 AM.

Some real good looks there gm!

If you look in the pictures gm has, you can see the tie bar. It fits over the cross shaft and locates the master cylinder the exact distance it needs to be from the cross bar.

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/product...-mb-gpw-cj-2a/
    Last edited by bmorgil; 10-31-2023 at 05:38 AM.

You guys are AWESOME !!!! I found enuf pictures to see where the MC goes....The bolt towards the front of Jeep goes thru the frame...I found that hole and then with the tie bar, I will be able to locate MC......And the tie bar will locate how far away from the frame I need to be also... I did end up ordering a new cross shaft and brake arm because I decided they are both worn enuf to be a problem...
    Thank y"all, Dave in sunny Fl.

You are welcome Dave. Your frame turned out really nice after you got it all stripped down.

OK gm, I give, where are the pictures of Dave's frame?