Thread: Experience with Deestone or Power King tires?

Experience with Deestone or Power King tires?

While I’d love to get a set of STA Super Traxion tires my budget won’t allow it. Does anyone have any real world experience using Deestone d503 or Power King Super Traction 2 tires?

The Power King has been around for a long time and have been a staple store brand tire at many farm supply stores, and they are tough as nails. A question you may want to ask yourself is how are you intending to use your 3A? If you are predominately off road, then the bias ply traction tires will work great. If you plan to drive mostly on asphalt, then you may want to consider a radial tire. The bias ply on hard tack tend to wander all over the lane, needing constant wheel input to correct the front end to go where you intended. The radials tame the wandering quite a bit. The looks of the aggressive tread does look appropriate for the Willys, and if I didn't drive mine around town, I would have them on ours.

Mainly off road, forest service roads and trails. I’m well aware of the joys of bias ply tires on the street, burned up a few sets back in the day with my Camaro

My other concern is they are 10 ply I believe. Pretty stiff for a 2000 lb Willys. Just wonder if they ride like a wagon wheel or if you can air them down enough to somewhat conform to rocks and other bumps.

This may be apples to oranges but I never noticed much difference on my F150 when I went from the factory 4 ply tires to the Cooper 10 ply tires I run now. The only difference I noticed is that I don’t get near as many flat tires. Of course, I run them at the 35 psi stated on my door jam and not the max pressure rating on the tires.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

The 10 plies will definitely ride rougher than a radial. You can run a lot lower air pressure on the bias plies (15 to 25psi) to soften the jounces. For mainly forest service minimum Maintenace roads, I would run the bias plies for durability.

I too run 10 plies all terrains on my Silverado 1500. They are heavy compared to the Good-fora-Year that came on it, but other than stuttering across bumps instead of soaking them up, (I run 55psi for the best flat wear pattern, so that relates to the skipping).