Thread: Ignition switch removal question

Threaded View

Here is a link to at least one version of CJ-3A wiring. I was trying to find version with wire colors - think I've seen one somewhere, but ???.

http://www.cj3apage.com/index/Tech_T...20diagrams.htm

From this diagram, it does not appear that the CJ-3A (in some versions) had a starter switch, just an ignition switch. What you have may be just an ignition switch. The three positions are OFF (center); IGN/ACC (ignition and accessories - like the radio and heater) in the CW position and ACC (accessories only) in the CCW position. In some cases CW and CCW functions may be reversed.

The ACC position was so that if you were sitting still without the engine running and listening to the radio (or some such foolishness) current was not flowing through the ignition points and that would keep you from burning or welding points.

As a friend of mine found out in about 1962, if you sit with the ignition switch in the IGN position with the radio on and watch the submarine races with your girlfriend late into the evening, the points get hot and weld closed, the car won't start and people come looking for you about 1:00 AM in the morning.
    Last edited by LarrBeard; 04-19-2024 at 06:34 PM.