Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Hodakaguy M38 - Pics and Misc Thread.

Continued from above...

Fresh oil going back in. In my older vehicles I like to run either Valvoline VR1 or Mobile 15w-50. Both of these oils have higher levels of Zinc for push rod and flat tappet engines. I've always had great luck with these oils so decided to use the VR1 in 10w-30 in the M38. I know oils can be a hot topic....for me these two have always been my go to oils for vintage engines.

LOTS of zerk fittings to grease. Only took one pic of the process though, transfer case shift linkage.

Continued Below...

Continued from above...

Rubber shoes going back on. I torqued the lug nuts to 3A specs at 60 ft lbs.

Getting a couple coats of OD on the battery tray and outer lip on the cowl battery compartment. Paint is light here as it's still wet.

Continued Below...

Continued From Above...

Continued Below...

Continued From Above...

I will paint the inside of the box after the edges dry completely.

Under hood batt box completed, freshly painted inside and out after a full sand blasting.

More to come....

Hodakaguy

Wow! Outstanding Jeep, and you are wasting no time getting it dialed in. Your posting faster than I can read to keep up. That M38 looks like it had an amazing restoration, it's ready for the reenactments.

How much corn head grease and gear oil do the axles take? I need to change fluid in mine.

Looks like you scored a fine example of a Willys Jeep, and you'll have it going down the road perfectly before you know it.

The detailing is coming along nicely HKG! That is a show stopper no question. One for the museum.

The battery boxes look better than new! Well done!

WOW! Congratulations on the find. It sounds like it was an interesting trip getting it back home.

You are doing all of the right things with lubricants and the little details that often get overlooked - textbook.

Here are the details on your radio set:

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/milita...er_rt_6_2.html
    https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/milita..._pp_112gr.html

It is a post WWII radio (circa 1949 - 1950) that covers a limited frequency range (27-39 MHz) as an FM voice radio. At the low end it will help interfere with CB radios (but not talk to them as they use AM and single sideband modes of operation). It will operate in the 10-meter amateur band from 28.3 to 29.7 MHz, but an amateur license is required to do so.

Above 30 MHz you are into the military VHF-FM band (30 - 88 MHz, civilian operation is not allowed except for some very specialized applications). It is still serviceable by a moderately skilled technician and most parts are available if you go scrounging for them. The PP-112 power supply used a number of vibrators (no - not that kind of vibrator) and those are probably the least reliable and hardest item to find now.

Wow a very cool radio! I did not realize there were FM signals used in the 40's and 50's. I always thought FM was a late 60's thing. The shear size of the radio in that thing is wild. Larry did it use a "Reed Switch" type inverter to change the DC into AC? Is that what the "Vibrator" was in the power supply? Am I on the right track there? Very interesting history in that Jeep. You can see our evolution of a few things.

Quote Originally Posted by 56willys View Post
    Wow! Outstanding Jeep, and you are wasting no time getting it dialed in. Your posting faster than I can read to keep up. That M38 looks like it had an amazing restoration, it's ready for the reenactments.

How much corn head grease and gear oil do the axles take? I need to change fluid in mine.

Looks like you scored a fine example of a Willys Jeep, and you'll have it going down the road perfectly before you know it.

Thanks Mate, we are excited to be it's new care takers and can't wait to get it out to some shows and play around town a bit. I put about 6oz of cornhead grease in each knuckle, not sure what the actually capacity when they are completely empty is.

Looking forward to posting more pics and being an active member of the forum.

Hodakaguy