Just bought a 62 CJ5 last month. 4-134F engine with a 12 volt conversion (solid state ignition). Just trying to find out exactly what I have here. I've been driving the jeep off and on just around our small town for a few weeks now. Yesterday I smelled electrical smoke while driving. Smoke then started coming out from under the dash. Vehicle died and I turned the key off. After reviewing I noticed the ignition wire from the ignition switch itself to the positive side of the ignition coil had melted. I've since separated the wire bundle to see how bad the damage is. I noticed where the ignition wire goes from the ignition switch to the instrument cluster (H terminal of the cluster) had also melted. Basically both wires at the cluster melted. the one going from ignition to cluster and the one going from the cluster to the positive side of the ignition coil. The coil has an external resistor. I'm discovering several oddities with the wiring and I do have the correct wiring diagram from the service manual. Of course the manual is for 6 volt ignition I believe. I'm trying to find out what I have in terms of alternator and what not. I researched the OEM Technology number in hopes to find a wiring diagram but no luck there. Also, (see pic) there is a terminal/box/voltage regulator looking object on the firewall. I was guessing the alternator must have an external regulator and that is what the box on the firewall is for but I want to be sure if I could find what type alternator I have.
I also noticed (per wiring diagram of the distributor) that the BLACK wire from the distributor should go to the ignition side of the ballast resistor IF you have an externally resisted coil which I do. This coil's BLACK (positive) wire was attached to the positive side of the coil. Not the resistor. Yet another reason why I'm trying to find what type of alternator I have. I thought it looked odd that the red wire from the alternator was jumped (per the pic) and they had attached the other wire from the alternator to the negative side of the ballast resistor. I've got a bit of a mess here but did purchase the Jeep maintenance manual which has a wiring diagram. It might be awhile before I get this old gal safely back on the roadAttachment 29772.jpgAttachment 29773.jpgCOIL5.jpgVOLT_REG.jpg