Thread: My first vehicle! 1956 CJ5

Hybrid View

So I noticed while Flossy was on jack stands the left rear tire and a decent clunk when I shook it. So I popped of the dust cover, which has the usual Flossy rust! And pulled out the cotter pin and what do I find? The nut on the hub is completely lose! Not finger tight, legit lose. So I unthread it by hand and pull the hub off. So everything looks okay, it was all covered in pretty good looking grease. The axle and hub looks nice, no weird wear marks. The keyway is nice, and the axle is tight against the bearings. So I'm thinking the problem was just the looseness of the nut. So my question is, what should I torque it too? Also someone has had it apart because it has fresh wheel studs, so maybe they didn't tighten it enough.

And on a side note, a dumb question. But what do you guys torque lug nuts to?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 56willys; 05-11-2024 at 12:10 AM.

The project is looking very good 56'! I believe you have brought Flossy back in a solid way. The paint looks just right. Taking them to a get together is what its all about. Even if its a small event, that Jeep will get you outside!

The axle shaft nut on tapered deign axle shafts, is a spot that always needs a look. They are Notorious for coming loose. When they do they usually shear the key in the shaft. A Minimum of 150 Ft. Lbs. of torque 56', you can take it to a Max of 175 Ft. Lbs.. The Wheel to Hub torque is 60 - 75 Ft. Lbs..
    Last edited by bmorgil; 05-11-2024 at 06:49 AM.