Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Oil system restoring

I think it is a 1/4" flare fitting. That means it would be a 7/16" x 20 thread pitch. Can you get a close up picture?

I'll try this weekend. However if the 2 oil outlet hoses from Kaiser Willys and the adapter I had all do the same thing, and if they are all 7/16"x20 threads, then the issue is the timing cover threads. I don't recall any difficulty or anything out of the ordinary when taking the oil hose out, but it was decades old, if not the original so it was well seated and sealed of course.

I'm still trying to understand where the oil drains out. Should there be this much oil left in the canister? It's been sitting for 2 weeks.

Also, is it possible that if the oil pan was not put on tightly enough that the oil canister was building up too much pressure because the crankcase was not pulling any vacuum?

IMG_0182.jpg

The oil drains out the bottom through the hose and a restriction in the block and cover. The oil should drain slowly until there is a small amount left in the can. It looks like something is blocked up. The oil system is a closed pressurized circuit. It is under engine oil pressure. There is no vacuum, only pressure. The canister cannot build pressure. It will be the same pressure as the rest of the engine as indicated on the oil pressure gauge. If the gauge says 40psi, there is 40 psi in the can.

The gasket on top of the can needs to be tight and new. If the supply hose from the can to the cover is blocked or the control orifice is plugged at the block, the oil will not be filtered or returned to the engine. Also the timing chain will be lacking pressurized oil lubrication.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 05-30-2024 at 04:36 PM.