Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Hodakaguy M38 - Pics and Misc Thread.

Super nice Job Hdk! You are not the first to experience the poor fitting windshield seal. I was not able to find a real good fit. I tried a few different suppliers. It seems like there are only two manufactures. None of the ones I received fit well without modifications.

Agreed. The glass guy called me up and asked what vehicle the rubber seal was supposed to fit..... Not even close. Since the 2A glass is within a frame, they used urethane to seal it all up.

Agreed. The cowl to windshield seal leaves a lot to be desired for proper fitment, just like the windshield to glass seal on the 2A.

Cowl seal revisit. I had ordered the replacement cowl seal from Army Jeep Parts and had contacted them after the first test fit. They said the new seal is the correct seal and that our old seal is a cheaper incorrect reproduction. After looking at some pics it does look like the new one is correct and follows the windshield frame correctly.

With new information in hand I set to swapping seals again.

I warmed the seal up in the sun and it allowed the screw holes to line up correctly.

I used a bit of lighter fluid on a paper town to wipe off the white molding residue, leaving a nice black seal.

Continued below...

Continued from above...

Very happy with the results. If you need a seal I would recommend this one from. Army Jeep Parts.

Continued below...

Continued from above..

Note: With the old seal the latches were almost impossible to close (like the seal was to thick), with the new seal I can snap the latches down by hand now with good tension on the latch...perfect!

Hodakaguy

That seal fits much better! I might look into one of those. Where did you find it?

I purchsed it from Army Jeep Parts. Here's a link: https://www.armyjeepparts.com/p-3646...wo-671045.aspx

Hodakaguy.

Maintenance day. Although the Jeep is running fairly decent it is still starting hard and could be running better. Time to check/verify points, timing, plug gaps and valve lash adjustments.

The M38 is waterproof and equipped with a sealed ignition system, utilizing sealed plug wires and a waterproof distributer.

Distributer opened up and the upper housing held out of the way with a piece of bent wire.

The coil is enclosed inside of the distributer assembly.

Adjusting the points to .020". As found the points were tight. Points were in great cond, same with contact surfaces on the Cap and Rotor.

Continued below...

Continued from above....

Timing marks on the crank pulley and timing cover.

With the rough timing set it was time to adjust the valves. I bent a piece of tig rod to use as a feeler so I could feel when the piston was at TDC. The bent wire allows you to reach over the exhaust valve and reach the top of the piston. You can also set TDC on cyl #1 and then rotate through the firing order, I like to use the feeler as an extra verification.

Continued below...