Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Overdrive relay

Quote Originally Posted by capyjack View Post
    LARR said - Use your meter to find the two contacts that have continuity between them.
    OK, I have continuity between the SOL and IGN terminals as well as continuity between the TH and BAT terminals.
    Applied voltage to the TH and BATT makes the click. The SOL and IGN is more like a short.

LARR said - Those are the TH and IGN terminals of the relay.
    But one is clearly the fused terminal.,
    I should add that when the relay is tripped by applying voltage to the BATT terminal and a ground to the TH terminal I get voltage at both the IGN and the SOL terminals.
    Still stumped.

Overdrive Relay - Still a mystery

Quote Originally Posted by capyjack View Post
    I should add that when the relay is tripped by applying voltage to the BATT terminal and a ground to the TH terminal I get voltage at both the IGN and the SOL terminals.
    Still stumped.
    Is this with the relay out on the bench or in the vehicle wiring harness?

If you get a voltage on the IGN and SOL with the relay on the bench with nothing connected to those terminals, I think it is time to open up than can o'worms and see just what is in there.

You've lost the "warranty" by hooking it up. SOmething is going on in there that just doesn't make sense.

Anyone else got an idea??????

Yes, out on the bench.
    Positive voltage to the terminal with the fuse and a ground to the TH terminal. This activates the relay and puts voltage to the IGN and SOL terminals.
    I opened it up but don't have any idea what to look for.
    Its clean and new and doesn't show any signs of being hot.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I don't have the diagram right in front of me, and these derned tablets don't multitask well at all. The relay must still be hooked up from what I gather.

Having power at batt terminal and ground at the throttle terminal is correct when the throttle is not fully depressed. The ignition having power is correct when the ignition is in the run position. The solenoid having power also sounds right, if then the solenoid is controlled by the governor. That is my fuzzy part. The document from Frazier had a governor, but I don't know 100% that Willy's used one or not. The governor would engage the solenoid above 30 mph, then kick out at full throttle via the throttle switch ground being interupted. Check over my recollection to see if that makes sense.

We're guessing as to how this thing is wired. We "think" it is wired like a truck or wagon, but we don't have the early service manual to look at.

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/categor...wagon-jeepster

Since I have a '48 truck, I'm going to take my own advice and break down and buy one of these.

GM and Larr,
    First let me thank you guys for your info and for your patience with me.
    It was a tough decision to have to step up and re-buy a fairly expensive relay.
    However with that said.
    THE NEW RELAY FIXED IT !!!! YEAAA !!!!
    Yesterday was a good day in Oregon with a blue sky and 45 degree temps I took the Jeepster for a fridged drive for an hour or so. (the top will be the finishing touch)
    I love these forums and the information they provide. The world has become much smaller with the internet.
    Cheers, Jack

Larr,
    Dang, since this is not one of my regular stops I did not realize that I had private messages here.
    Sorry about that I didn't mean to ignore.
    Last edited by capyjack; 12-04-2018 at 02:17 PM.

I'm glad that LarrBeard's leg work came through yet again. Enjoy the remaining nice days, keep us in mind while you are out and about. Take some photos of your travels!

Enjoy!

How about that!

I suspect that when someone fabricated the original relay, they crimped an insulator somewhere or pinched a wire. There is just no way that the coil voltage should have shown up on the contacts - they are physically two separate entities.

Some day when you get a chance, give us a good photo spread of the Jeepster. There are just not that many of them in original condition.