Thread: well, the darn thing is out

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by pelago View Post
    yeah, the helmet and lense just do not give a picture of what i am doing, so so damn dark all i see is the arc and can not even see the work area at all and my lines go all over the place, when i think i did a good weld i look without helmet and i see that my weld line wandered all over the freakin place. i have a lot of scrap 20 gauge now and will try to practice on that some
    I have that same problem even with good overhead lighting. A well placed, bright, work light shining on what I am trying to weld helps me. I also started wearing dark shirts when welding. Lighter colors were reflecting light into the hemet which in turn was being reflected by the helmet into my face.

I am currently using a Lincoln helmet with an auto-darkening lens I bought new for $45. I think I can also adjust how dark it gets. I started with a cheaper brand but my eyes were always getting flashed. I never could keep lined up with an old school helmet that had to be raised and lowered.
    Last edited by 51 CJ3; 11-23-2018 at 10:17 PM.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

Quote Originally Posted by 51 CJ3 View Post
    I have that same problem even with good overhead lighting. A well placed, bright, work light shining on what I am trying to weld helps me. I also started wearing dark shirts when welding. Lighter colors were reflecting light into the hemet which in turn was being reflected by the helmet into my face.

I am currently using a Lincoln helmet with an auto-darkening lens I bought new for $45. I think I can also adjust how dark it gets. I started with a cheaper brand but my eyes were always getting flashed. I never could keep lined up with an old school helmet that had to be raised and lowered.
    got a lot to learn about this welding, last time i welded in reality was high school metal shop in 1960

???e driver's side toe board gusset this it??gusset.jpg