PDA

View Full Version : 48 willys oil filter system

bondo bandit
11-17-2013, 04:54 PM
I recently purchased a 47 willys jeep and have discovered a few missing items. I have no air filter canister and am missing the oil filter and its pluming. I am not sure if this model just didn't come with an oil filter or it has all been removed. I would like to try and get the engine started but am concerned with the missing oil filter. Is this a problem to not have the oil filter? If so are there any good diagrams or sites to look at so I can plumb a new unit in?

JeepCJ5
11-22-2013, 10:25 AM
You don't really need an oil filter to run the engine...look at all the Model Ts and As and other cars from way back that never had them...it's always a good idea to use an oil filter, even if it the bypass type...full flow oil filters became standard in the 1940s and 50s...your jeep had a bypass type, which means that all of the oil was filtered eventually...a full flow oil filter flows through the suction pipe in the oil pan, into the pump, into the oil filter, and to the rest of the engine...just get the bypass cannister, mount it securely, and put a "Tee" fitting into the oil gauge fitting at the block...run a line from the Tee to the top fitting on the cannister...the drain line goes from the bottom of the can to a fitting on the timing cover...done....you oil filter was on your engine at some point in time.