View Full Version : 1947 Willys truck...How to get titled

04-02-2014, 01:47 PM
Hi Guys...I have what is believed to be a 1947 Willys truck..It was pulled out of a hollar when clearing land and given to me... My friend, the land owner, said he didn't want it and had no idea if it was ever titled or who it belonged to.I asked others that we're into restoring and they said titleing didn't go back that far.. It's been in the barn for several years but how in the world do I get a title for such and old vehicle..I was able to locate and write down the serial number but that's all of the info I have. I would at least like to title it so I can get a tag before I put any money into it.I'm hope to ride it in local parades if it isn't too far gone..I'd appreciate any advice...Thanks...Pete

05-07-2014, 02:21 PM
Check with your state DMV abjout titling a vehicle that old. They may have a route for you to take. If not, then you can register it in Vermont as an out of state vehicle with a bill of sale. They don't title vehicles that old, but they will register it and that will legally get you into the system and they will send you licence plates and everything. Them email or call the Vermont DMV and ask for a letter on their letterhead explaining that Vermont does not issue titles for older vehicles. Once you get that letter, take it and the Vermont registration to your DMV to get your state's title.

05-15-2014, 05:06 AM
Generally you can file for an Abandon Title or do a Bonded Title.
Abandon cost less to you, but takes longer...
Bonded cost more (for the bond amt) but usually you can get it faster.
Either way you have to get it inspected , file the paperwork with the mvd, pay their
fee and sit back 4-6 weeks and wait for the paper work to go thru for abandon.
Ive done a few of each in the last few yrs.