View Full Version : Where to go for Insurance

05-28-2014, 10:10 AM
Hello All. I recently inheirted my father's Willys and I want to get it registered in my state. I'm curious to what companies people use for their insurance. I normally use USAA but they told me I should seek out a historic vehicle insurer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

05-30-2014, 10:21 PM
I have used Hagerty (Traverse City, Michigan) for years and have been very satisfied.


06-19-2014, 10:03 PM
Awesome thank you. They are my number one to go to I guess. :);)

08-12-2014, 11:05 AM
I have used Hagerty (Traverse City, Michigan) for years and have been very satisfied.

I looked them up online and called them. They told men that unless the vehicle is currently worth $3500 dollars that they would not insure it. They looked at the pictures that I sent them, and they decided that it truly was not currently worth $3500 and would not be able to insure it. They advised me to restore it and send in pictures later and they would see if they can determine if it is worth the money they may insure it.

08-15-2014, 06:35 PM
Try Grundy http://www.grundy.com/ I have my truck insured by them and I think I said $3k as the value.

09-30-2015, 10:02 PM
State farm cheap I pay like 30 a month after taxes historical daily driver

05-12-2016, 02:01 PM
Hagertys gave me the best rate on our two Willys. '62Wagon 4WD & '59 PU Truck 4WD. Full coverage for both was cheaper than the coverage on our '12 Fusion

06-15-2016, 08:17 PM
correct me if i am wrong, but a HISTORICAL TYPE INSURANCE really limits some one to only driving in parades, to and from parades, testing to shows etc. am i wrong??

06-16-2016, 07:43 AM
Indiana doesn't much care as long as they get the money. From their website:


The Historic license plate may only be displayed on motor vehicles that are 25 years old or older. This plate can be ordered at any license branch or partner location. You will receive the plate in the mail within 14 days.


A Year of Manufacture (YOM) license plate may be used on an antique motor vehicle that is 25 years old or older. The Indiana YOM license plate is not required to be the original license plate registered to the vehicle; however, it is required to have been issued by the Indiana BMV in the same year as the model year of the vehicle to which it will be used.

A Historic license plate is registered to the vehicle and a Certificate of Registration and Year of Manufacture Affidavit are issued. The YOM license plate is placed on the rear of the vehicle, and the Historic license plate, Certificate of Registration, and Year of Manufacture Affidavit must be carried in the vehicle at all times, including any renewal year stickers. The Historic license plate must be renewed annually.

To use a YOM license plate on your vehicle, you must present the YOM plate to any BMV license branch for inspection. The YOM license plate may be refurbished or restored; however, the BMV may reject the use of the license plate if there is any indication that the plate does not meet the original specifications. Additionally, the YOM license plate must meet the following conditions:

Be metal
Be in good or original condition. The letters, numbers, and markings must be clearly legible.
Fading must be minimal and not faded to an illegible state.
May only contain minor rust on the face of the plate.
May not be bent.
May not have any unplanned holes.
Must match the picture of the plate issued for the year of manufacture according to BMV records.

Of course - your state will vary to make things as inconvenient for you as they can....

06-16-2016, 08:46 AM
on the same lines,,,, getting a title? varies from state to state to state of course. so happens the hulk that i am restoring has the original willys ser number attached to it, i have to have this verified, (told them that the thing is still under rehab and restoration and that id does not move agent said not a problem) then have to get a surety bond, then can go to DMV with all completed and pay for a new title

06-16-2016, 09:49 AM
YOM (Year Of Manufacturer) Laws vary from state to state but one rule stands everywhere, the plate has to be form the year the vehicle is manufactured. I've had vehicles registered in various states utilizing YOM Laws (while in the military), some are 15, 20 or 25 years old and others won't allow it for anything newer than 1939 (VT) which forces you to place a new "historic plate" on your vehicle.
The other point to remember is YOU need to acquire the plates and in some areas those get expensive, make sure before you buy that the number is "free and clear" so you can actually use it.

As for Insurance, my two cents goes out to Geico's affiliate, American Modern Home & Classic Vehicle Insurance; I have a 1947 Willy's CJ2a, 1951 Willy's pick up, and a 1953 Dodge and the total is only about $150 a year for full replacement value of all three.