PDA

View Full Version : 1942 Willys Jeep

wonder371
12-01-2014, 02:09 PM
My father-in-law has a 1942 Willys Jeep. It is in pretty good condition last time I saw it. Its been garaged and rarely driven for the past 20-30 years that I know of. We are planning on just doing some minor restorations (mostly interior).

For fun, I was wondering if there was anyway to look up its history? The car was given to my father-in-law by a family friend who owned it for quite some time, but before that I don't think we know much about it. Is there a way to find out if it was USMC or Army? Or where is may have been during the war? Or even previous owners (like carfax for older vehicles)?

bkalex
12-03-2014, 10:53 AM
The USMC jeeps were equipped the same as the Army ones. Some were painted olive drab and some were forest green. The USMC jeep markings were usually yellow. Many jeeps here in the US never left the country. Many were used on the various military bases around the country. Tom on the G503 forums can usually tell you where the jeep was assembled by the VIN. You can also get lots of good information on the war time jeeps on that forum.