PDA

View Full Version : New to the Jeep world. 1950 Willy's M38 Revival.

flyinmonkey101
12-02-2014, 01:30 PM
Hi all,
If you are reading this you are obviously enthusiastic about the world of historical Jeeps and for that, I thank you! I have never driven anything that saw time before the 90s or didn't have fuel injection so bear with me. I am inheriting a 1950 Willy's M38 from my grandfather and I'm hoping I can utilize this forum and its people to help me with my rebuild project. Actually it's not much of a rebuild project since it has been sitting in a barn for probably 30+ years and is in great shape. I live on the outskirts of the snow belt in Ohio so I wont be able to pick up the truck until spring but i would like to be prepared and learn as much as i can about the vehicle mechanics and systems. So my first question... What needs replaced after sitting for 3 or 4 decades?
My first thoughts to get it running:
Fuel tank
Sending unit and pick up unit hardware
Fuel Filter
Fuel lines
Fuel filter
And then cleaning up the carburetor

For driving:
Upper and Lower radiator hoses
Water Pump
Fan Belt
Brake lines
Exhaust system

I would love for some input as I am doing my best to learn. Looking forward to some feedback!

Thanks,
Chris

bkalex
12-03-2014, 10:41 AM
There is a good chance that some of the seals in the axles, transmission, transfer case, or engine may leak. They tend to dry out after sitting that long.