PDA

View Full Version : tires vs. axles

corpsman
01-20-2015, 11:02 PM
I had an idea of how I wanted to build my CJ-3A, and I found a picture on the web that fits that idea. neither the picture or jeep in the picture belongs to me, but hopefully they won't mind me using it. anyway, I can't tell if the axles in the picture are stock or not. will the stock axles hold up to the tires pictured? I don't know the size, but they look to be 31's or 32's. (super swamper tsl radials) anyway, if anyone out there can verify that those are in fact the stock axles, I would greatly appreciate it. also, if I don't use the stock engine, what is a good replacement to add some power without a crazy amount of modification? thanks

corpsman
01-23-2015, 09:45 PM
I'm assuming my 1950 CJ-3A has the Dana 25 front axle. I'm not sure about the rear, from what I understand it's either going to be a Dana 41 or a Dana 44. I won't be able to put eyes on mine to make that determination for a couple of days. I don't know anything about the Dana 25 or 41, but I know the 44 is a strong axle.

Carl3
02-02-2015, 07:10 PM
I am sure youcould use the stock axles as long as the engine horsepower doesnt triple.