PDA

View Full Version : Flat head starts up then cuts off

bondo bandit
01-31-2015, 10:36 AM
Having trouble keeping my cj2a running. It will fire up strong then sputter out. I have replaced the points, condenser, rotor, cap, wires plugs and resent the timing.ran great for a couple days then all of a sudden this problem started. It acts like it can't burn the fuel or it stops creating spark. I have watched the point as I turn the engine and seems to create good contact and spark. Am I missing something ? I have spark, fuel and air. Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks

Carl3
02-02-2015, 07:03 PM
Did you forget to tighten the Distributor, maybe it has moved.. Have you rebuilt the carb,,Maybe a jet is clogged.

bondo bandit
02-03-2015, 07:06 PM
I didn't move the disrtibutor in any way. I have reset the points 3 times to top dead center. I think the adjustment screw that ajust the gap for the point is so worn it won't hold. I am going to try a Hot Spark to replace the points and condenser . Has anyone tried this product? Also going to re- wire everything that I have working.( key switch , amp meter and fuel gauge.) hope this fixes my problem and it's not a serious motor issue. Thanks for the reply. Any info helps to narrow down my issues.

Carl3
02-15-2015, 03:36 PM
The Hot Spark is a great replacement for the points. I couldnt with mine because it was the only distributor they didnt make one for so i bought the elecctronic distributor. Bettn money its the carb