PDA

View Full Version : M38a1 for $200

Chase
02-16-2015, 11:11 PM
I recently purchased a 1954 M38a1 for $200 and have started the long process of restoring it. All in all the body was in great condition, for it being only $200. As you would expect there are some problems, the main being the late of an engine, but also the driver and passenger floors are rusted through and there is a small rust hole on the body right in front of the passenger side. Thats really the only rust on the body. As i was dissasembling it though i found a few other problems like half the wiring was for 24 volt, which had been disconnected and the other half was 12 volt with is in need of replacing. Another problem is most of the bolts tend to break, even with the minimal force if my 1/4 inch ratchet, like the 8 main body bolts they all broke with the force of me just pushing on them with my 3/8 inch ratchet. So i guess thats what you get for $200 but hey i still think it was a great deal.

A few months after aquiring the jeep i found a flat head 4 on craigslist for $300 which i thought was a steal since the new rebuild ones are around $3000. Turns out $3000 wouldnt be that bad because it was locked up. It hadnt been run in years, it needs all new pistons and to be bored, though ill probably just have them put new cylinders in.

This is a continuing project and i dont plan one it being complete anytime soon. The body is being sent to be bead blasted next week and im taking the engine to a machine shop sometime soon. If you have any tips about putting it back together or any ploblems i might run into please reply. Thanks.

bpd303
04-29-2015, 08:58 AM
To help with the rusted bolts & screws breaking, pick up some Kroil penetrating oil or mix up some of your own with a 50-50 mix of transmission fluid and acetone. It will help with broken bolts if you soak them good.

LarrBeard
04-30-2015, 08:15 AM
If you have bolts that are so corroded that they break off as easily as you describe - IMHO - just go ahead and break them off. They're so badly rusted, corroded and compromised you should just buy new hardware and get on with the fun stuff of the project.

A late edit...I intended this note to apply to nut/bolt combinations where you can get access to both ends of the offending fastener. If you have a bolt that goes into a blind hole or into a threaded backing plate - you'll probably want to try to loosen it with some sort of penetrating oil..

(Thanks for the forum for not jumping on what could have been interpreted as a pretty dumb statement....!)

pelago
05-30-2016, 01:52 PM
I have a spare engine,,, runs
we can talk