PDA

View Full Version : Need help with title.....1956 Willys?

Kenner
03-17-2015, 04:12 PM
I have attached a picture of the plate on the engine firewall. Can anyone verify what I have.... I believe it is a 1956 cj5. I have a bill of sale but no title exists. Can someone help lead me in the right directions to get a title.
Does anyone recommend a place or website to buys parts for restoration.......
Thanks,
Ken

51 CJ3
03-17-2015, 08:40 PM
Rules vary with location but most states will issue a "salvage title". You will have to check with you local DMV or tag office as applies.

As for deciphering what you have, I can't make out the numbers stamped into serial number area of the plate but maybe this link will help: http://www.kaiserwillys.com/willys_jeep_serial_numbers

Kenner
03-17-2015, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the chart. The serial number is 57548 41173 and this number is on frame so I believe it is a 1956 cj5. Thanks. Now to find parts :)
We bought this at an auction. It sat in a field abandoned for 22 years and engine was locked up. After pouring 2cycle engine oil and penetrating oil we got it running fine! Amazing.

Beacher425
04-15-2015, 12:29 PM
Vermont will issue out of state registrations from a bill of sale. What I did in SC was get the Vermont registration and a letter from the Vermont DMV stating that they don't title vehicles over 25 years old and took both to the SC DMV and they were happy to issue a title. Check with yuour state and see what you need.