PDA

View Full Version : CJ3B fuel tank Fitting (help Please)

cJAY904
03-19-2015, 08:09 AM
I dont know much about fuel lines and fittings. I bought a new fuel line and was told it needed an adapter to a 1/4 NPT. to attach to the fuel pickup on the bottom of my tank. Neither the attachment that came on the line, nor the 1/4 NPT fit on the tank. I know I need a male fitting, but the 1/4 NPT seems too big. Anyone know what size a 1953 CJ3B tank should have? Thank in advance.

51 CJ3
03-20-2015, 07:30 PM
I changed the tank in my CJ3A a couple of months ago. Mine just had an elbow to connect the hose to the tank. The fuel hose required a 1/4" barb but I don't recall the size of the threaded end. You could measure the hole in the tank. A 1/4" NTP threads into a 7/16" diameter hole and a 1/8" NTP threads into a hole a little less than 3/8" in diameter. It is a hardware store item. I didn't have to buy one because my old one was still in good shape.

Jeff

Beacher425
04-15-2015, 12:23 PM
I recently replaced the tank on my 53 CJ3B with a new replacement. There were 2 fittings on the bottom. One is in a bulging out of the tank so to make it the lowest point. This is a 1/4 inch Pipe fitting tread for tank drain. the smaller fitting outboard of it is a 7/16-24 inverted flare fitting. Inside the tank it leads to an inverted J looking spout so it will not suck fuel that may be mixed with water or dirt from the very bottom of the tank. What I did is i got a converter to change the fitting to AN6 for a braided steel fuel line.