PDA

View Full Version : 46 willys brake issues cj2

killer94061
06-01-2015, 12:07 AM
I have new brakes and new wheel cylinders on my rear wheels
i am having as problem on one side. My brakes do not hold they leak. When
I disconnect that side the brakes work just fine. could my master cylinder be bad
that it would affect one side only

michael

bpd303
06-02-2015, 05:11 PM
No the master cylinder pushes fluid out to all four wheels at the same time. When you say they leak, where is the leak? How are you disconnecting the leaking side?

killer94061
06-02-2015, 10:22 PM
No the master cylinder pushes fluid out to all four wheels at the same time. When you say they leak, where is the leak? How are you disconnecting the leaking side?

I have an order in for new rear outer axel seals. I hope this takes care of it.
If not do I need rear outer axel seals and how hard are they to install

Michael

killer94061
06-02-2015, 10:26 PM
Let me correct that i ordered outer seals. If this does not work do I need to order inner seals
and how hard are they to install

killer94061
06-02-2015, 10:29 PM
The leak must be coming from the seals either outer or inner I have the outer on order seems simple to replace
the inner looks quite a bit of work . Is it ?

bpd303
06-05-2015, 03:15 PM
You are talking about two different things. The axle seals have nothing to do with the brakes. Are you losing brake fluid or differential oil? May I suggest that you pick up the service manual for your Jeep. It will save many hours working on the wrong parts.
http://www.kaiserwillys.com/product/1679/willys-jeep-literature-mechanics-manuals-parts-accessories

LarrBeard
06-06-2015, 10:27 AM
Can you give a better description of "My brakes do not hold they leak."

Does this mean that as you push down on the brake pedal, the pedal goes down to the floor? Your comment that "When
I disconnect that side the brakes work just fine." seems to indicate a standing brake test, not an attempt to stop the vehicle in motion. With one wheel disconnected (I would assume the little brass tee is plugged off on the offending side) I can't see how they would "work fine" in an attempt to stop the vehicle.

Are you seeing brake fluid leaking out of the wheel cylinder? Try not to confuse differential lube getting on the brake lining/brake drum with brake fluid.

I'm not sure we understand the problem - so that makes it hard to try to figure out an answer.