PDA

View Full Version : Restoring Ham's '48 Willys 2WD; I'm Legal!

LarrBeard
08-26-2015, 08:19 AM
Here's the paperwork and finally, a plate.

Indiana doesn't do custom plates any longer because of several levels of foolishness and First Amendment Free Speech lawsuits that impacted everybody. PC and Lawyers - Bah! Humbug!

The tube is what we fabricated to go between the air horn on the carburetor and the air cleaner, with a port for the oil breather line. By the way, Willys didn't use the oil breather as PCV for pollution control purposes - no way back then, it was for oil control as piston rings wore. Keeping the crankcase under a little vacuum helped control oil vapor migration into the combustion chambers. This was a first try, we'll need a little bit different configuration to turn the corner in the tight space we have. Nothing from the catalog fits with the F-head engine and stock air cleaner.

And, the bed sitting on blocks on the frame. It's a lot closer to level when it's not on 4 x 4's.

We sent seats and door panels to the interior shop to get onto his list of things to do. There is still some original seat cover material on the driver's seat - a red that matched the original vehicle color. We'll try to match that, with a welt to match the interior color. As mentioned earlier, we plan to cover the door panels with a textured vinyl in the trim color (Ivory). And, we'll need to make new kick panels since the old ones were way beyond salvage.

The shop guys are working 6-plus days a week to get the 1919 Auburn Beauty Six ready for the Auburn-Cord-Deusenberg Festival Parade on Labor Day weekend. I agreed to let the '48 slip to help the other guy make the once a year event. It's my good nature that's slowed things down.

AmyB
08-26-2015, 01:20 PM
Congratulations on becoming legal!

LarrBeard
09-03-2015, 05:13 PM
As they used to say down home "I may not be legal - they just ain't caught me yet".