PDA

View Full Version : 49 Station Wagon 4X463 Conversion to a 226 Inline Six

Brian-Sacramento
09-21-2015, 03:14 PM
Hello,

This is my first post on this form. Most of my experience with Willy's has been limited to the military vehicles, M38's and M38A1's.

My wife has moved me over to the civilian side with her purchase of a running 1950 VJ Jeepster in April. It has the inline six and the overdrive T96 transmission.

Enter her 1949 Willy's Station Wagon.(For "safe" winter driving) My initial research indicates that the 1949 year was offered with both the 4 and 6 cylinder engine. First Question: Does the 4X463 model number indicate that this unit originally came equipped with the four cylinder engine? This basket case came with an uninstalled "overhauled" 226. Second Question: The engine bay looks like it is too short (by at least 3") to accept the 226. I'm unable to get an accurate measurement because a dead Jeep V6 abandoned conversion is in the way. Second Question: Is the station wagon grill longer on the engine side on the 4 cylinder and shorter on the engine side for the six cylinder equipped model. Do the grills for these two different engine options have different part numbers?

Let's do this the easy way! Perhaps someone with the six cylinder (226) model can measure from the distance from the back edge of the grill unit, where the radiator mounts, straight back to the firewall. My measurement is 291/4 inches. The firewall is bare, no insulation.

If you met me you would recognize that I need all the help I can get!

Thanks, Brian-Sacramento

LarrBeard
09-23-2015, 07:28 AM
I'm not an expert on station wagons (just a lot of experience with 2WD '48/49 trucks), but I'll try to provide some information and, if I don't have information - an opinion.

You asked: "First Question: Does the 4X463 model number indicate that this unit originally came equipped with the four cylinder engine?"

The model number is referenced in a lot of places as "4-463". The "463" is the basic chassis configuration - you will see "465 .. etc" for different chassis configurations. Although I haven't seen anyone address it directly, the "4-" seems to indicate a vehicle in 4WD configuration. My truck seems to be a 2-463 configuration, but many of these facts are lost in the fog of history. You will find that, in 1947,1948 and 1949, Willys-Overland played what we would consider "fast and loose" with model year designations and model year configurations. By every serial number listing my 2WD truck should be a '49. but by body configuration it is clearly a '48. go figure.

As for 4-cylinder vs. 6-cylinder engine configuration, the basic chassis could support either engine. Overall vehicle length was the same, as was firewall to grill length. The 4 cyl vs. 6 cyl difference was accommodated by the depth of the fan shroud. A 4-cylinder truck/wagon would have a deep shroud, a 6-cylinder would have a shallower shroud.

And - I may be wrong on this ... If I am, maybe someone will educate both of us.

Welcome to the group and stand by - you're in for an adventure...

Brian-Sacramento
09-26-2015, 07:01 PM
Thanks LarrBeard for the Welcome and for the intel!

The front of my 49 Station Wagon seems flatter than later model Station Wagons. An internet friend measured the hood on his 59 Wagon, its 43" from the firewall/cowl end to the point the hood. Mine is 40" long. Next, he measured from the back of the center of the nose of the grill to the face of the grill where the radiator is mounted and got 9 1/2' Mine is 6 1/2.

The difference is the same, 43"- 9.5" = 33.5" for the '59 and 40" - 6.5" = 33.5" for the '49. ?

At first blush the data seems to suggest that the engine bay is the same length for either engine. I guess the length of the fan shroud makes up the difference?

Wow? can someone chime in and help LarrBeard and I?

Thanks, Brian - Sacramento