PDA

View Full Version : front right wheel locks up

americacj5
09-27-2015, 09:46 PM
With fwd engaged the front right wheel locks up on dry pavement is this normal does it need some slip to work or should I start digging replaced the hub locks because they were bad and it still does that

Old Man
09-29-2015, 10:38 PM
With fwd engaged the front right wheel locks up on dry pavement is this normal does it need some slip to work or should I start digging replaced the hub locks because they were bad and it still does that

Don't know exactly by what you mean bu locked up, but fwd engaged on dry pavement is not what you should be doing. Initially it sounds like gear wind up and resistance compounded by some wear of components.
I realize that is not an absolute answer but you have to determine the basics for the lock up. It is not likely the hubs but more likely a combination of worn parts and binding as a result of no slippage between front and rear axles. One thing that comes to thought is differing gear ratios in both axles. All the hubs do is engage the wheel to the axle, and disengage for free wheeling.
At any rate, drive line binding or gear windup is not a good thing for your drive train.
You may have a wheel bearing or axle cv joint wear problem that is amplified by drive train gear windup.
Hope this helps.

americacj5
09-30-2015, 09:42 PM
I understand that I replaced the front hub locks were bad that's why those got replaced but if the axles have different ratios is this a bad thing because I asked a buddy and that's what he thought just different ratios and it will work fine when you get on mud or a slippery suface or should it not lock up like that

LarrBeard
10-01-2015, 11:10 AM
An earlier question in the Forum concerning a similar problem:

My 1948 Willys drives great in 4wd going forward but in reverse, when backing up, the right front wheel pops and then locks up. Anyone have an idea what might be the issue; bearing broken, part installed incorrectly, something else?

The answer:

Likely front axle cv joint balls and socket wear or damage

americacj5
10-01-2015, 09:56 PM
I was thinking that but it does it both ways on dry pavement you can put it in fwd lift the right wheel off the ground and its locked in and its not excessive everything seems to work that's why I'm confused

LarrBeard
10-02-2015, 03:23 PM
I was thinking that but it does it both ways on dry pavement you can put it in fwd lift the right wheel off the ground and its locked in and its not excessive everything seems to work that's why I'm confused

Well, it looks like it's about time to get out the tools and start taking things apart. We can figure all we want to, but sooner or later - once you get things apart - you'll find something bound up, stripped. rusted, broken or some combination of all of those.

Good hunting..

americacj5
10-03-2015, 01:19 AM
Thanks for the info