PDA

View Full Version : Willys engine Hess Hornet

Old Man
10-03-2015, 12:18 PM
The Hess Hornet is an air compressor configured from a 134 Willys engine.
2 cylinders run and 2cylinders pump.
Different head and valving on middle 2 cylinders.
Has anyone converted one if these units back to an operating 4 cylinder engine?
I'm working in that direction now. Looks like other than the head it will need valves lifters and components
Also valve seats will need to be remachined into the block and likely valve guides. Don't know if it will need a different camshaft or not. Again this is something I would like to hear from anyone who have done this.

Old Man
11-07-2015, 07:57 PM
I've been working on the engine/air compressor conversion back to a full 4 cyl engine. Here is what I've found.
The valves on #2,3 have been removed along with the tappets. The associated guides were plugged with 5/16 bolts and loc nuts. The valve openings were sealed by welding an expansion plug into the valve seats. This appears to be the major problem to overcome. After drilling a hole into the plugs the two exhaust seats were worked out, however the two intake seats were welded up into the block with the plug. Looks like machine shop time to try recutting the seat lands. Will post later after I get further along.
This appears to be all the modifications made to the engine block ( I hope )

Old Man
01-07-2016, 09:09 PM
Finally have engine buttoned up. Now realizing the font mounting plate is wrong for cj2a frame. Will replace that when I can find the correct one. Noted that WO carb linkage is outboard for the previous installed governor. Will mount flywheel and test run in a week or two