PDA

View Full Version : Mike from Deerfield Wis. proud Willys owner!

MikeP
10-27-2015, 02:25 PM
Hi, Mike here from Deerfield Wis. I have restored my 47 CJ2A from the ground up. 8 month project! I purchased the Jeep in 1974 when I was young and crazy! Man we had fun with the old WILLYS. Never did much to it. After a few years, a marriage, 3 kids, she just sat around, and after about 30 years I decide to bring it back to life! After much ribbing from my kids, I decided to go head first into a complete restoration. It was my new years resolution! With much help from Mike with Kaiser, she looks new again, Michigan yellow is her color! It was a very proud day when we rolled it out of the shop an fired it up! I do have an issue with transfer case fluid leaking out the rear seal. It initially seemed ok, but lately it runs out rather steadily. I installed new seals during the rebuild. Anybody out there have the same issues? Other than that she runs like a top. Still a few things I need to do. Heat!! and wipers. Mostly a fair weather machine these days! much different than when I was 20!! Happy to be on board!

Mike

bkalex
02-05-2016, 10:42 AM
Welcome Mike. Grats on getting the Jeep back in shape. There always seems to be something to do on them but that's part of the fun.

Wrenchbender
07-07-2016, 10:13 AM
I would check the seal , I have installed a seal before and when installing the yolk , rolled or cut the seal lip . caused a leak. had to replace the seal again. also check the sealing surface on the shaft or yolk, if its grouved tha will also cause a leak

51 CJ3
01-28-2018, 04:29 PM
Does anyone have a tip for getting the transfer case output seals out? I have been beating on it using a slide hammer with a “J” hook but haven’t been able to get it to move. I haven’t seen any other pullers that will fit between the shaft and the seal.

51 CJ3
01-29-2018, 09:29 PM
I quit being lazy and pulled the bearing cap after I tore up the J hook on my slide hammer. Much easier to drive the seal out than to pull it.

gmwillys
01-30-2018, 05:30 AM
It escapes me to where I saw it, but there is a tool that screws into the I.D. of the seal, then a puller is attached. It worked pretty slick. If I can come across where I saw it, I'll share the information.

LarrBeard
01-30-2018, 07:23 AM
We improvise when we need to. I had to pull a seal way down in a cavity on, of all things, a genuine Roto-Tiller - circa 1950.

I drilled and threaded a hole in the metal ring and screwed two bolts/big screws into the ring and pushed the seal out using the screws as jack posts.

51 CJ3
01-30-2018, 07:52 AM
It escapes me to where I saw it, but there is a tool that screws into the I.D. of the seal, then a puller is attached. It worked pretty slick. If I can come across where I saw it, I'll share the information.

This sounds like something the military would have had but I don’t recall seeing anything like that in the manuals. I may have another look.

The hard part is working around the shaft. There isn’t a lot of room

gmwillys
01-30-2018, 02:23 PM
It seems I ran across a video on utube. A guy was rebuilding a transfer case, and was going step by step. My problem is that sometimes I have that kind of videos running in the background while doing other things around the house. But if I was a betting guy, that's where I'd look first. It wasn't in a manual, that I do know.