PDA

View Full Version : Restoring Ham's '48 Willys - Progress and Frustrations

LarrBeard
11-18-2015, 08:31 AM
Don't ever think rebuilding an old truck from the floor up is going to go along easily. Hard things end up being dern nigh impossible and easy things end up being hard.

The body and paint work is going well. The driver door may have sprung hinges - it won't line up to suit us, but it closes and latches very smoothly.. passenger side is beautiful. The metal is all mounted and it looks very good. If we look closely, there is a slight tilt to the bed - either the frame or bed has a warp to it, but old trucks will have some sign that they're almost 70-years old.

Here are pictures of the assembled truck - these are the body and paint pictures.

I'll post the mechanical story in another post since I'll run out of picture space on this post.

BigCoop57
11-19-2015, 12:15 PM
Very Nice. I love the color
:)

LarrBeard
11-20-2015, 04:29 PM
Very Nice. I love the color
:)

Thanks. As far as we can tell, the color is the original 1948 color for trucks.

Several paint guides have similar information, so we decided on Tunisian Red as the best choice. The paint color (DQE-50127-DAL) is still available from several suppliers. Late in the project we found a couple of pieces that had been protected from the sun, weather and at least one subsequent repainting. After careful inspection, my wife agreed that we had selected the original color. If it's wife approved - how far wrong can I be?