PDA

View Full Version : 1946 CJ2A Fast idle problem

Mater
01-18-2016, 12:20 PM
My Willys is idling way too fast, causing me to have to apply the brakes when just driving it. I have adjusted the throttle but does not seem to help, it just goes back to fast idle. I think I may need to replace this spring (attached), but cannot seem to find it on KaiserWillys or on line sources. Also don't really know what its called? Any ideas?
thanks

LarrBeard
01-19-2016, 07:43 AM
The spring you show is an improvised arrangement, not the way the throttle return spring was intended to be. Not at all unusual in old Jeeps, there are a lot of ways to do things. It appears that your spring is tied to the choke side of the carburetor, not the throttle side.

If you look at KWAS P/N A1175, the accelerator linkage throttle rod assembly, you will see a little tab at the end. The throttle return spring originally attached here, not where it is located on your vehicle.

Here is a picture of the accelerator linkage, return spring and the bracket we built to attach it on my '48 2WD. I'm not sure exactly where the firewall end originally attached, it went away a long time ago, so this is what we came up with.

Good luck.

Mater
01-19-2016, 08:23 AM
Yup, now that you pointed it out, it does look like a home grown solution.
Thanks! I'll give it a try and let you know the resolution.