PDA

View Full Version : Willys Truck Axle Swap

rking1688
05-24-2016, 06:01 AM
Hello all, looking to pick up a Willys truck sometime in the near future. Ideally I would like to pick up one of the 60's models but I'm definitely not going to be picky if I come across one for the right price. I would like to restore it and work towards getting it to be a little bit of a daily driver type. I'm not going to use it for work every day, but thought it would be neat to take out once in a while. I know the Dana 53's aren't a popular axle anymore, and the ratio's in them aren't really made for todays cruising speeds. I was wondering if anybody has successfully swapped an axle or ring and pinion to get it down to a 3.87 or so. Any advice would be very welcome, especially with pictures of course! Thanks.

LarrBeard
05-25-2016, 09:30 AM
" I know the Dana 53's aren't a popular axle anymore, and the ratio's in them aren't really made for todays cruising speeds. I was wondering if anybody has successfully swapped an axle or ring and pinion to get it down to a 3.87 or so. "

Try cruising with a Timken 5.38 gear set. You can pull a train with them, just not very fast!

But, about swapping ring and pinion gears, here is a discussion about the task:

http://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/ring-pinion-install-45599/

There are You-tube videos as well .. Jeep Ring and Pinion Swap.

If you try it, let us know. Good Luck.

Luis G Morales
08-17-2016, 05:13 PM
hello, maybe you can change the hole differential for a 80īs era dodge pick up dana 44. use the same lug pattern and the width is ok for the Willys, the brakes are better and if you have luck find a powerlock on it, need a narrow front end for a Willys so you have to use a scout dana 44,
good luck