PDA

View Full Version : well, the darn thing is out

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11

bmorgil
02-12-2020, 05:39 PM
Oh man.... can you send the $600 radiator back?

LarrBeard
02-12-2020, 06:09 PM
Since its on Magoo, no sending it back. Aw Pooh, or something.

Did you borescope it?

pelago
02-12-2020, 06:25 PM
Since its on Magoo, no sending it back. Aw Pooh, or something.

Did you borescope it?
more or less. its all good now, really never was bad, small 1/8" leak fixed as i watched

bmorgil
02-12-2020, 07:39 PM
Forgot about that! Well an original M38A1 radiator that holds 30psi and has good looking scoped bores should be worth a bunch!

okiemark
02-12-2020, 07:41 PM
It pisses me off when people tell you they will fix something or as you said, tell you in is unfixable when they could just say they don't want to mess with it or take it to someone else.

pelago
02-14-2020, 01:31 PM
rather undane, maybe, old school? spent past two days using liquid tape to cover all the wire looms. actually looks good

pelago
02-15-2020, 03:16 PM
On the very front of the jeep. actually on the front grill, there are many holes in the top, evenly spaced, wonder if that might have been local command deal to add a winter heat cover, to restrict air flow into radiator for cold weather operations, like seen on diesels in cold COLD operations. Keeps engine at op temp???

okiemark
02-15-2020, 10:18 PM
Mine had a bug screen screwed on the front. Perhaps something like that at one time.

pelago
02-17-2020, 08:36 PM
Interesting but rewarding day,, Took Magoo to a local old time alignment shop, told him i could not ge the toe in correct, just did not have the skills, asked them to do it, all front end parts are new. 20 minutes and fifty bucks later all are now true, asked him how close i was and he held up two fingers with maybe 1/2" air showing, and he said you were close. Then took Magoo on to Camp Lejeune and off we went,,, 4WD most of, no did not ford any creeks but was impressed with where we went, and not a lick of trouble... Then on to highway in 2WD and ride was so smooth

LarrBeard
02-17-2020, 09:27 PM
Interesting but rewarding day,, Took Magoo to an old time alignment shop ...

Hmmm. Old guy at the radiator shop. Old Jeep. Old guy in Jeep. Old time alignment shop.

I think I see something in common here. Dern kids.

You're getting to the fun part now. This is the payoff! Congratulations!!!

okiemark
02-17-2020, 11:19 PM
I've gotten pretty good at eyeball toe in adjustments. I get it pretty close then get it out on the blacktop and turn the steering wheel straight, then do the fine adjustment and it's good to go.

bmorgil
02-18-2020, 07:40 AM
If you really want to do it yourself, a little cash and some training, and it can be done at home.

The toe can easily be set with a good Machinist tape measure, two people and some string and straight edges. You need to be able to read to a 1/64" repeatedly. 3/64" to 3/32" is the specification for toe on an older CJ. I use the tools below on everything I need to set up. On our Jeeps caster and camber cannot be set but, if it is way off, you know something is bent. These tools take a little skill and practice but once you master it, it is the way to go. I learned to use these types of tools 40 years ago. They still work today. You do not need the million dollar shop Alignment Rack. They are (Shop Alignment Rack) one heck of a lot faster however! At the track this is how it was done. It takes a day to learn to use these tools. There is help on the Web. Once you do it, it is rewarding! Anyway for you true DIY guy's, there is a way.

http://www.longacreracing.com/products.aspx?itemid=2445&prodid=7212&pagetitle=Toe-Bar
http://www.longacreracing.com/products.aspx?itemid=1798&prodid=7217&pagetitle=Billet-Caster-%2f-Camber-Gauge-with-Quick-Set%e2%84%a2-Adapter
http://www.longacreracing.com/products.aspx?itemid=1711&prodid=7235&pagetitle=Turn-Plate-Spacers-with-Slip-Plates-(pair)

pelago
02-18-2020, 05:54 PM
there are two fill bolts on each and every thing that has fluid in it, one to fill and one to drain and each and every one of them leaks, hell with it let it drip

bmorgil
02-18-2020, 06:32 PM
It's like you said before, sometimes old things just drip a little!

okiemark
02-18-2020, 07:23 PM
I thought mine was perfect then noticed a very slow leak at the bottom of the front differential. Don't know if it's around the bolt or the gasket. All cleaned up with new gasket and sealer and still leaks.

gmwillys
02-18-2020, 09:24 PM
The plugs are pipe thread, so they need some pipe dope to prevent oil from migrating through the threads to your clean driveway or shop floor. If your cover gasket leaks, then your cover is not flat. The bolts have been over torqued, and deformed the cover causing a slight void in between the gasket and cover.

okiemark
02-18-2020, 10:09 PM
Well, I thought the cover looked pretty good but that is a thin gasket so just a little bulge could make it leak for sure. I did seal the pipe threads on the drain plug but I know it is not leaking there.

pelago
02-19-2020, 10:11 AM
The plugs are pipe thread, so they need some pipe dope to prevent oil from migrating through the threads to your clean driveway or shop floor. If your cover gasket leaks, then your cover is not flat. The bolts have been over torqued, and deformed the cover causing a slight void in between the gasket and cover.

GASKETS ALL HOLDING lube seems to run from drain and fill plugs

pelago
02-19-2020, 10:12 AM
hey, this a trailer for a a m151 tires make me think so 5588

LarrBeard
02-19-2020, 10:29 AM
Pull the plugs and smear with a pipe thread compound or Teflon tape. You'll have to drain and refill, a bit of a pain, but that should deal pile plug leaks.

gmwillys
02-19-2020, 12:13 PM
The trailer is in fact for an M151. The dead giveaway is the wheels and the angled off fenders.

pelago
02-19-2020, 04:56 PM
thought those wheels were m151

LarrBeard
02-19-2020, 09:05 PM
thought those wheels were m151

If the price is right, It will follow an M38 nicely and only a true expert will know the difference.

pelago
02-21-2020, 10:07 AM
a question. Since i am starting a complete machine shop rebuild of a 134l should i leave it here or maybe start a new thread. left to do on magoo rear seat, canvas, and windshield wipers

gmwillys
02-21-2020, 12:22 PM
It may be a good idea to start a new thread for those who are looking at reading up on an engine build as a main subject.

Magoo has come a long ways, and the finish line is in sight.

pelago
02-23-2020, 04:30 PM
Took MaGoo aboard Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune to look an check out all the fishing ponds, (a bunch), and tlked to wildlife folks, they did a lot of work on them, opened them up so a person can get to them and there was major restocking done in Nov and another load to come in March. Magoo is perfect to get to some of the more harder to reach spots. Saw a momma bear and two cubs to highlight the day. way cool, she was about 100 yards away, cubs were two little fuzzballs

5JeepsAz
02-23-2020, 05:30 PM
Epic thread. Enjoy reading about MaGoo.

bmorgil
02-23-2020, 05:58 PM
Epic thread. Enjoy reading about MaGoo.

Well said!

I am hoping for some pictures of Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune and Magoo. Larry's gonna die when he hears this but, I spent a month at Camp Pendelton fixing hundreds of Military PLS vehicles "Dragon Wagon's" (used to transport Tanks and such), that had a driveshaft issue. A bunch of Marines took their leave to provide Labor for a handsome sum by the hour. They were from the motor pool. It was a wild crew to say the least. They said they made enough to give up the leave. We also provided beverage incentives that worked out unbelievably for us! I have never seen guy's work so hard. Some tough men that's for sure.

Send us some picture of Magoo on Base Ira!

LarrBeard
02-23-2020, 07:40 PM
"Send us some picture of Magoo on Base Ira!"

Yep - I would love to see Magoo on base with young Marines drooling over the vehicle. And, stay away from the WM's!

And, some of my most fun field work came with Marine Air Control Squadron 7 (MACS-7) up on the mountain at Camp Pendelton,CA!

gmwillys
02-23-2020, 07:45 PM
Great to have you out and about, and enjoying Magoo in his natural habitat!

A dragon wagon is a massive beast! The depot that I work at has one in its inventory of war relics, but it hasn't been touched in a very long time. The wagon is sitting just past the fishing lakes on post.

bmorgil
02-24-2020, 07:13 AM
Oh their are "Dragon Wagon" stories! A massive, impressive thing.

OK Ira, we have several here who would like to have you take us to Lajeune via your camera. It is great to have you running around again. I would love to see the base.

pelago
02-24-2020, 10:29 AM
Oh their are "Dragon Wagon" stories! A massive, impressive thing.

OK Ira, we have several here who would like to have you take us to Lajeune via your camera. It is great to have you running around again. I would love to see the base.

WILL TRY, WAITING FOR A WARMER DAY. Beleive me you would not recognize it, there is a new highway and a new gate and a new bridge

pelago
02-29-2020, 09:27 PM
WOULDN'T YOI KNOW IT..
FINISHING TOUCHES, EMERGENCY BRAKE.
Doing fittting to make sure all ($300.00) worth or parts ns pieces all fit one of the tabs broke during assembly

bmorgil
03-01-2020, 06:55 AM
Man there's always something to slow you down!

pelago
03-01-2020, 12:15 PM
Man there's always something to slow you down!

and that piece was not cheap

okiemark
03-01-2020, 08:14 PM
What the heck caused that to break or did it have a flaw in the casting.

pelago
03-04-2020, 04:54 PM
I POSTED THIS ON ANOTHER JEEP PAGE CONCERNING KAISER WILLYS

ANOTHER REASON WHY I TRUST KAISER WILLYS.... Had a big uh oh in assembly of the final pieces for the emergency brake while tapping with a 8oz machine hammer one of the ears broke off on one of the brake shoes. immediately emailed Kaiser on a sunday yet. got a note from Mike and he said a replacement will be out the door on monday, He did and i got it today, also said he did not need broken piece back. GUYS THIS IS A FIRST RATE COMPANY THAT BACKS THEIR PRODUCTS 100%, COULD HAVE HAD A LARGE AMOUNT OF RECEIPT NEEDED STUFF, BUT DID NOT, MY HATS OFF TO THEM

bmorgil
03-04-2020, 05:28 PM
There is no doubt. My experiences are all the same, professional top notch, customer focused people! I had several things come up during the restore. I could always count on KW.

TJones
03-04-2020, 05:30 PM
I will second that Ira, Mike stands behind everything he has and will walk a mile through a fire in a gas suit to help find you what you need!!!!

TJones
03-04-2020, 05:33 PM
I’m dumb-founded....
326,000 views OMG :o:o:o
Your the Man Pelago!!!

pelago
03-04-2020, 06:30 PM
i’m dumb-founded....
326,000 views omg :o:o:o
your the man pelago!!!
new piece just dropped in not one single issue

pelago
03-04-2020, 07:23 PM
SOME INFORMATION NOT PREVIOUSLY POSTED
Spent most of feb and jan in us navy hosp, new finding, freaking gout, thought gout was only during king henry 8ty eral oh how so very wrong, well i have it and have it bad, walking or trying to walk to mailbox caused tears. was in so so much pain got so fed up with navyhosp that last time i left went AMA just ****XXX walked out. Had appt today with senior attendant dr. new meds, two for gout one for pain. came home and took three pills, now cn ctully walk with out tears. was in so so much pain took long lit of complaints, he sincerely listened, took son along to listen and to add when needed, WALKED TO GARAGE THREE TIMSES, TO MAILBOX ONCE DID NOT CRY IN PAIN...................... WHAT S RELIEF. WAS SO DISGUSTED WITH THEM THAT TUES GOT DRESSED AND JUST WALKED OUT WENT HOME, CAUSED A LOT OF CONSTERNATION THAT WONT GET INTO HERE, BUT IT WAS BAD
BUT FEEL A JILLION TIMES BETTER, SHIxxxx THOUGHT GOUT A ANCIENT MEDICAL CONDITION MAN WAS I WRONG

okiemark
03-04-2020, 07:38 PM
They used to say the rich because they ate cheese and wine. I know a guy who has had trouble with it and said they gave him a pill to take and it really works.

bmorgil
03-04-2020, 07:48 PM
My dad got it and he was a healthy eater for sure! He was treated for it and it went away. He swore it came from his deployment over seas with the KMAG.

gmwillys
03-04-2020, 08:01 PM
Glad you are back on your feet, and out of severe pain! Gout is still around, at least around these parts.

pelago
03-05-2020, 11:27 AM
hellfire, on top of all, seems someone tagged my truck in navy parking lot, at body shop now

LarrBeard
03-05-2020, 01:22 PM
hellfire, on top of all, seems someone tagged my truck in navy parking lot, at body shop now

Where were you to get into a Navy lot? Probably some boot camp ensign who is still learning to drive.

pelago
03-05-2020, 04:27 PM
Where were you to get into a Navy lot? Probably some boot camp ensign who is still learning to drive.

was at the navy hosp for dr appt. security had it on film (dvd) but no license plate could be seen. just my luck
gout improving very very slow

pelago
03-05-2020, 06:30 PM
AM IN A CRUMMY PO'D MOOD. LOOKING AT THE COMPLETE E BRAKE SYSTEM, READY TO GO..... The get up and go machine that sits on my shoulders says get off your rummyass and get it done, HOWEVER MY FAT LEGS (so so much water backed up you would not believe) are not in the get up and go mood, pain way way down from before (that damn gout, man it sure hurts, just plain hurts like holyhell)so that get up and go part of me aint ready to get up and go....................................The difference in the medication is sure working, got two eliminate the acidic urithic acid crystals in joints ar so so painful, monday could not even walk to mailbox without tears actuslly forming, it hurt so bad, and have another pill that prevents the crystals from forming, only been on the meds for 24 hours and difference really significant. but )&$%^#$%^*(@#%&&()(*&^&%$##$$^^&**()( mood i am in PROBABLY NEEDS TO BE IGNORED AND CONTINUE TO SIT AND WATCH TV AND LET THE STUFF WORK

bmorgil
03-05-2020, 06:47 PM
Sitting still is the absolute worst part of the cure.

LarrBeard
03-05-2020, 09:25 PM
[QUOTE=pelago;11296]AM IN A CRUMMY PO'D MOOD.

Well, go ahead and gripe to us. we're way past getting any feelings hurt.

Gout and shingles are two things I've not had and I'm not ready to get in either line. One part of us says get up and push through the pain - the other part says "Damn, that really hurts". I would be concerned if the "push through the pain" approach would cause some additional damage to joints from the uric acid crystals scraping around on joint surfaces - kind of like shavings under a rod bearing.

I'd give the meds a few days to work on things so you don't end up causing more damage than has already been done.

Get well ...

pelago
03-06-2020, 05:51 PM
happy days coming got a husky 16yr old graandsone to crawl under neath the jeep and help with the e brake

bmorgil
03-06-2020, 06:12 PM
This is the way it should be! God bless your grandson!!

pelago
03-06-2020, 06:50 PM
this is the way it should be! God bless your grandson!!

well this is a goods thing, because i am leaving magoo to my daughter in writing in my will

5JeepsAz
03-07-2020, 07:24 PM
Matthews, Brander, ed. (1852–1929). The Oxford Book of American Essays. 1914.

III. Dialogue Between Franklin and the Gout

Benjamin Franklin (1706–1790)

Midnight, 22 October, 1780.

FRANKLIN. Eh! Oh! eh! What have I done to merit these cruel sufferings? 1
GOUT. Many things; you have ate and drank too freely, and too much indulged those legs of yours in their indolence. 2
FRANKLIN. Who is it that accuses me? 3
GOUT. It is I, even I, the Gout. 4
FRANKLIN. What! my enemy in person? 5
GOUT. No, not your enemy. 6
FRANKLIN. I repeat it, my enemy; for you would not only torment my body to death, but ruin my good name; you reproach me as a glutton and a tippler; now all the world, that knows me, will allow that I am neither the one nor the other. 7
GOUT. The world may think as it pleases; it is always very complaisant to itself, and sometimes to its friends; but I very well know that the quantity of meat and drink proper for a man, who takes a reasonable degree of exercise, would be too much for another, who never takes any. 8
FRANKLIN. I take—eh! oh!—as much exercise—eh!—as I can, Madam Gout. You know my sedentary state, and on that account, it would seem, Madam Gout, as if you might spare me a little, seeing it is not altogether my own fault. 9
GOUT.in life is a sedentary one, your amusements, your recreation, at least, should be active. You ought to walk or ride; or, if the weather prevents that, play at billiards. But let us examine your course of life. While the mornings are long, and you have leisure to go abroad, what do you do? Why, instead of gaining an appetite for breakfast, by salutary exercise, you amuse yourself with books, pamphlets, or newspapers, which commonly are not worth the reading. Yet you eat an inordinate breakfast, four dishes of tea, with cream, and one or two buttered toasts, with slices of hung beef, which I fancy are not things the most easily digested. Immediately afterwards you sit down to write at your desk, or converse with persons who apply to you on business. Thus the time passes till one, without any kind of bodily exercise. But all this I could pardon, in regard, as you say, to your sedentary condition. But what is your practice after dinner? Walking in the beautiful gardens of those friends with whom you have dined would be the choice of men of sense; yours is to be fixed down to chess, where you are found engaged for two or three hours! This is your perpetual recreation, which is the least eligible of any for a sedentary man, because, instead of accelerating the motion of the fluids, the rigid attention it requires helps to retard the circulation and obstruct internal secretions. Wrapt in the speculations of this wretched game, you destroy your constitution. What can be expected from such a course of living, but a body replete with stagnant humors, ready to fall prey to all kinds of dangerous maladies, if I, the Gout, did not occasionally bring you relief by agitating those humors, and so purifying or dissipating them? If it was in some nook or alley in Paris, deprived of walks, that you played awhile at chess after dinner, this might be excusable; but the same taste prevails with you in Passy, Auteuil, Montmartre, or Sanoy, places where there are the finest gardens and walks, a pure air, beautiful women, and most agreeable and instructive conversation; all which you might enjoy by frequenting the walks. But these are rejected for this abominable game of chess. Fie, then, Mr. Franklin! But amidst my instructions, I had almost forgot to administer my wholesome corrections; so take that twinge,—and that. 10
FRANKLIN. Oh! eh! oh! Ohhh! As much instruction as you please, Madam Gout, and as many reproaches; but pray, Madam, a truce with your corrections! 11
GOUT. No, Sir, no,—I will not abate a particle of what is so much for your good,—therefore— 12
FRANKLIN. Oh! ehhh!—It is not fair to say I take no exercise, when I do very often, going out to dine and returning in my carriage. 13
GOUT. That, of all imaginable exercises, is the most slight and insignificant, if you allude to the motion of a carriage suspended on springs. By observing the degree of heat obtained by different kinds of motion, we may form an estimate of the quantity of exercise given by each. Thus,

For more... https://www.bartleby.com/109/3.html

pelago
03-09-2020, 03:31 PM
Matthews, Brander, ed. (1852–1929). The Oxford Book of American Essays. 1914.

III. Dialogue Between Franklin and the Gout

Benjamin Franklin (1706–1790)

Midnight, 22 October, 1780.

FRANKLIN. Eh! Oh! eh! What have I done to merit these cruel sufferings? 1
GOUT. Many things; you have ate and drank too freely, and too much indulged those legs of yours in their indolence. 2
FRANKLIN. Who is it that accuses me? 3
GOUT. It is I, even I, the Gout. 4
FRANKLIN. What! my enemy in person? 5
GOUT. No, not your enemy. 6
FRANKLIN. I repeat it, my enemy; for you would not only torment my body to death, but ruin my good name; you reproach me as a glutton and a tippler; now all the world, that knows me, will allow that I am neither the one nor the other. 7
GOUT. The world may think as it pleases; it is always very complaisant to itself, and sometimes to its friends; but I very well know that the quantity of meat and drink proper for a man, who takes a reasonable degree of exercise, would be too much for another, who never takes any. 8
FRANKLIN. I take—eh! oh!—as much exercise—eh!—as I can, Madam Gout. You know my sedentary state, and on that account, it would seem, Madam Gout, as if you might spare me a little, seeing it is not altogether my own fault. 9
GOUT.in life is a sedentary one, your amusements, your recreation, at least, should be active. You ought to walk or ride; or, if the weather prevents that, play at billiards. But let us examine your course of life. While the mornings are long, and you have leisure to go abroad, what do you do? Why, instead of gaining an appetite for breakfast, by salutary exercise, you amuse yourself with books, pamphlets, or newspapers, which commonly are not worth the reading. Yet you eat an inordinate breakfast, four dishes of tea, with cream, and one or two buttered toasts, with slices of hung beef, which I fancy are not things the most easily digested. Immediately afterwards you sit down to write at your desk, or converse with persons who apply to you on business. Thus the time passes till one, without any kind of bodily exercise. But all this I could pardon, in regard, as you say, to your sedentary condition. But what is your practice after dinner? Walking in the beautiful gardens of those friends with whom you have dined would be the choice of men of sense; yours is to be fixed down to chess, where you are found engaged for two or three hours! This is your perpetual recreation, which is the least eligible of any for a sedentary man, because, instead of accelerating the motion of the fluids, the rigid attention it requires helps to retard the circulation and obstruct internal secretions. Wrapt in the speculations of this wretched game, you destroy your constitution. What can be expected from such a course of living, but a body replete with stagnant humors, ready to fall prey to all kinds of dangerous maladies, if I, the Gout, did not occasionally bring you relief by agitating those humors, and so purifying or dissipating them? If it was in some nook or alley in Paris, deprived of walks, that you played awhile at chess after dinner, this might be excusable; but the same taste prevails with you in Passy, Auteuil, Montmartre, or Sanoy, places where there are the finest gardens and walks, a pure air, beautiful women, and most agreeable and instructive conversation; all which you might enjoy by frequenting the walks. But these are rejected for this abominable game of chess. Fie, then, Mr. Franklin! But amidst my instructions, I had almost forgot to administer my wholesome corrections; so take that twinge,—and that. 10
FRANKLIN. Oh! eh! oh! Ohhh! As much instruction as you please, Madam Gout, and as many reproaches; but pray, Madam, a truce with your corrections! 11
GOUT. No, Sir, no,—I will not abate a particle of what is so much for your good,—therefore— 12
FRANKLIN. Oh! ehhh!—It is not fair to say I take no exercise, when I do very often, going out to dine and returning in my carriage. 13
GOUT. That, of all imaginable exercises, is the most slight and insignificant, if you allude to the motion of a carriage suspended on springs. By observing the degree of heat obtained by different kinds of motion, we may form an estimate of the quantity of exercise given by each. Thus,

For more... https://www.bartleby.com/109/3.html
this is by far the most pain i have felt sincew got shot down in '75 off Kon Tang island in a '53. so so very painful

pelago
03-09-2020, 03:36 PM
PESKY PESKY PESKY
As said before old men and old jeeps leak, that is true in my household, but at least i miss the floor..
Due to my stupidity i never researched teflon tape, never thought i would need it,,, you tighten up a fill hole or drain hole and it stops leaking right????? WRONG..................
GOT UNDER JEEP AND INVESTIGATED, Every single gasket i put in right and tight. every single fill hole and drain hole leaks around the threads.
screw it, let it leak and of course i got maybe a cup full of oil in 3000 miles of driving with the rear main again screw it, bot a whole new motor being brought bsck to new life as we type

gmwillys
03-09-2020, 06:16 PM
Pipe thread is a good conduit for oil to excape to the outside. Teflon tape or loctite pipe dope seals the threads, but allows you to remove the plug during service. Rear main seals are a whole different animal. The rope seal isn't the best design for oil and environment separation.

pelago
03-09-2020, 11:40 PM
Pipe thread is a good conduit for oil to excape to the outside. Teflon tape or loctite pipe dope seals the threads, but allows you to remove the plug during service. Rear main seals are a whole different animal. The rope seal isn't the best design for oil and environment separation.

well it is just gonna leak some, am done with it and the rear main on rebuild being done at machine shop, hell they do it for a living, i have done two in 75 yrs

bmorgil
03-10-2020, 08:07 AM
This is why there is a fill hole and Cake pans!

pelago
03-14-2020, 01:56 PM

am very confused with number 12, the stop, they show it vertical, and there is a place where it connects to the inside of the apparatus?? But beats hell out of me how it actually goes in and works

FOUR PHOTOS OF THE STOP IN THE SYSTEM, THE PHOTO SHOWS IT VERTICAL, NO WAY DOES IT GO THAT WAY, HORIZONTAL?? LEFT OR RIGHT?? BTFOM??

5713 5714 5715 5716

THE PHOTOS THAT SHOW IT VERTICAL ARE MISLEADING, THERE IS A SQUARE CUT OUT ON THE STOP THING, BUT IT DOES NOT FIT ON THE STUB PROVIDED, HOLE TOO SMALL ONLY LEFT OR RIGHT HORIZONTAL

pelago
03-14-2020, 06:39 PM
right now it is emergency brake 1 and me zero, darn thing kicking my ***

okiemark
03-14-2020, 09:39 PM
What is supposed to hold it in place?

gmwillys
03-15-2020, 11:11 AM
Lay everything out in the same manner as the diagram. It will start to make sense. You photos are showing the assembly upside down and flipped. The second of your photos is the correct way per the diagram.

pelago
03-15-2020, 12:14 PM
Lay everything out in the same manner as the diagram. It will start to make sense. You photos are showing the assembly upside down and flipped. The second of your photos is the correct way per the diagram.

for the sake of discussion, i will call the point where the apparatus swivels as a fulcrum point look at #12, it has square hole does it go onthe fulcrum point hanging down, #6 is the piece tht the fulcrum swivels on and it has square end?? that the point?? where stop goes?

pelago
03-15-2020, 04:26 PM
5719 5720
two views front and back or what is inside and what is outside. is the shiny rectangular piece the stop piece, it all fits in the drum but can not figure out how it stops anything

okiemark
03-15-2020, 04:30 PM
Maybe to keep the bolt from turning?

pelago
03-15-2020, 04:37 PM
Maybe to keep the bolt from turning?

'damnifiknow" to me it just sorts of sits there?? but then again not sure i got i right anyway

pelago
03-18-2020, 05:01 PM
found the tm, and pge and description of adj..
however if one reads it they say to adjust anchor pin to set feeler gauge to .0010. and then lock it, but that makes the anchor pin offset, and the one i have is not ofset, and when the stop pin taken off cant turn it anyway
or else i am reading it all crazy
army tm tm 9-8014 para 238 emergency brke adj

have spent many many hours just looking at this, and have had it in and out several times, there is on conspicuous error. do not know how or why, but they make it sound as if the anchor pin is a (sp)eccentric bolt, that is turningit will make the shoe move in and out. does not work that way?? it is not a eccentric bolt completely round no adjust. my plan is to stick it in al thogether and get the .010" adj equal to both ends of outside shoe and lock it, COMMENT??

pelago
03-22-2020, 11:10 AM
i really messed up, thinking of forest for the trees deal and "assume" you know *** out of you and me, well me anyway
staring at the actual handle forever i put it in, and if you look at the picture of the handle it realy only goeson one way, due to fct tht the link hole is on one side. yup put the damn thing in backasswards, handle goes back not forward, got to redo it, but got cold again so am sitting on it for a bit

LarrBeard
03-22-2020, 01:59 PM
Well, another thing you have become the authority on.

pelago
03-22-2020, 03:49 PM
and that is "*** out of u and me" maybe id i did some more investigating would not be taking it all apart, but when you look at the handle assembly one side bolts down and one side allow the connecting arm between the two pivot points to attach and there was even a hole in floor that the connecting piece fit so great in.... not first time i gorped something up that have to correct and for sure am getting the two anti rattle pieces to go in also

pelago
03-23-2020, 03:33 PM
was able to dig this up, the tool box, corner is where the base for the handle goes. HOWEVER THE TOOL OX I GOT HAS A ROUNDED CORNER, GUESS GOING TO HAVE TO GET CREATIVE IN PLACING THE HANDLE BASE

gmwillys
03-23-2020, 04:46 PM
Your tool box is correct. Do you have the holes indexed for the mount? If not, no big deal. Drill it out and reach in and put nuts on the hardware.

pelago
03-23-2020, 05:47 PM
HAVE TO DRILL, but sure is a difference in tool box in manual and the one i bought? told my grandson sometimes putting on three bolts turns into a four hour deal

gmwillys
03-23-2020, 05:54 PM
The only real difference in the military and the civilian tool box is the Jeep script on the front riser panel, (at the passengers heels). Then the radio equipped jeeps had a tab at the right corner for the coms harness.

pelago
03-24-2020, 03:14 PM
sent a email about my health now, rather long,

pelago
03-27-2020, 04:54 PM
damn e brake kikcking my ***, However did have a good thing happen, got the correct headlight rims for the m38a1.

TJones
03-27-2020, 05:49 PM
Looking good Ira!!!!

bmorgil
03-27-2020, 06:15 PM
That is one classic Military vehicle Ira!

LarrBeard
03-28-2020, 09:04 AM
damn e brake kikcking my ***, However did have a good thing happen, got the correct headlight rims for the m38a1.

It's good to hear from you. We worried that you had caught CVD or had been shot by a jealous boyfriend!

pelago
03-28-2020, 10:49 AM
It's good to hear from you. We worried that you had caught CVD or had been shot by a jealous boyfriend!

keeping low profile... taking Mr Magoo and going on Camp Lejeune and going to go fishing.. see if i can catch some Bluegill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!5777

enjoyable day, no did not catch a damn thing, tried though, there was a young Marine from ^th Marine regt fishing and he caught two nice bass one close to four pounds. Darn but they look younger and younger every day, or is it that i am older day by day. all in all a good day and i think Magoo likes to get into the woods,,, he just scooted all over

gmwillys
03-28-2020, 09:51 PM
Great to see you out and about with Mr. Magoo. The base lakes tend to have some healthy sized fish.

bmorgil
03-29-2020, 07:08 AM
Classic Jeep shot. I think we grow older and wiser every day while, "they" grow younger and braver!

It sounds like it was Jake's Day at the Lake. You should have brought your Bass rig!

pelago
03-29-2020, 02:43 PM
WENT BACK TO THE PONDS. yesterday live bait, nothing... today went and cast from shore, got two, not worth keeping but worth catching something about a largemouth. what was funny i used a old old lure a just plain old Lazy Ike, you see tons of new stuff (and they aint cheap), does that mean the old does not work hell no, this one lure i used was my dads, (he had wooden muskie plugsin tackle box) had to date from 40's
wham bam two bass, too small to really do anything with so catch and release

LarrBeard
03-29-2020, 03:16 PM
Catching them is fun and you don't have to worry about cleaning them when you're done. Tell them that the next guy might not be so nice to them and then put them back.

pelago
03-30-2020, 07:50 PM
I find that i want a small light for the glove box, seems am fumbling around to find something... bulb and wire not problem, but on/off switch, need a switch that i can control with door, any ideas or anyone done this

bmorgil
03-31-2020, 06:30 AM
70's Chevrolet's had a combo switch and light bulb built in. A one wire hook up. You might have to make a L bracket with a hole, to hold the switch in the right spot. https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-Glove-Box-Light-Switch-Assembly-1970-79-Camaro,117382.html?sku=92614114&utm_medium=CSEGoogle&utm_source=CSE&utm_campaign=CSEGOOGLE&gclid=Cj0KCQjw1Iv0BRDaARIsAGTWD1tCVBRtzfYW5HttqMUk ZQe-Cj3ef_srfhv7cvQnTG5sldNZmOEUM2IaAl_BEALw_wcB

Or the NAPA store and several other Auto parts store's have these and variants of it. https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/ECHDJ6717

pelago
03-31-2020, 07:20 AM
70's chevrolet's had a combo switch and light bulb built in. A one wire hook up. You might have to make a l bracket with a hole, to hold the switch in the right spot. https://www.speedwaymotors.com/speedway-glove-box-light-switch-assembly-1970-79-camaro,117382.html?sku=92614114&utm_medium=csegoogle&utm_source=cse&utm_campaign=csegoogle&gclid=cj0kcqjw1iv0brdaarisagtwd1tcvbrtzfyw5httqmuk zqe-cj3ef_srfhv7cvqntg5sldnzmoeum2iaal_bealw_wcb

or the napa store and several other auto parts store's have these and variants of it. https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/echdj6717

ordered one

gmwillys
03-31-2020, 04:00 PM
Just remember to wire it off of one battery directly, unless you can find a 24 volt bulb then you can wire off the master power switch, etc. The switch may not be heavy enough for the extra voltage.

pelago
03-31-2020, 09:56 PM
just remember to wire it off of one battery directly, unless you can find a 24 volt bulb then you can wire off the master power switch, etc. The switch may not be heavy enough for the extra voltage.

yeah, thinking same thing

pelago
03-31-2020, 09:58 PM
BEEN WORKING WITH THE VACUM WIPER SYSTEM.
Darn if i was not able to salvage 90% of what i will need off the old rusted windshield...

bmorgil
04-01-2020, 06:14 AM
This would make a trick Glove Box light, 24V

https://www.amazon.com/HGHC-Replacement-Daylight-Contact-Interior/dp/B07GN45NMN

LarrBeard
04-01-2020, 07:25 AM
24-volt bulb source

https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/1151/IND-1820-10PK.html

pelago
04-01-2020, 11:00 AM
24-volt bulb source

https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/1151/ind-1820-10pk.html

cool ordered two

gmwillys
04-01-2020, 04:30 PM
That is a heck of a good deal!

LarrBeard
04-05-2020, 10:23 AM
Ira:

Check the new photo ... You know exactly where that was taken, that's the low end of Viale

pelago
04-05-2020, 01:16 PM
My Grandfather shot on the range in 1908, i shot on range in 2008, probably same frames

TJones
04-07-2020, 06:45 AM
Happy Birthday Ira!!!!

bmorgil
04-07-2020, 07:05 AM
Check out what was going on the day Ira was born! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Ten-Go

Happy B-Day Ira!

okiemark
04-07-2020, 08:35 AM
Happy Birthday, Ira! That's where my dad was. On a ship, the USS Gosper APA-170. It was a liberty ship that was fitted to transport troops, haul cargo, and then was used as a hospital ship. They did shoot down a suicide plane during that mess. They had landing craft and dad drove one of those. After the war they brought prisoners of war back.

gmwillys
04-07-2020, 11:34 AM
Happy Birthday Ira! Hope you have many more!

pelago
04-07-2020, 08:36 PM
75 today...... thanks to all, worked on Magoo E brake, and yeah still kicking my butt

gmwillys
04-08-2020, 11:25 AM
You have at least 25 more years just to share with us all your life's adventures.

LarrBeard
04-08-2020, 03:16 PM
75 today...... thanks to all, worked on Magoo E brake, and yeah still kicking my butt

For some reason, 75 hit me harder that 40, 65 or even 70. Three-quarters of a century just sounds really old!

pelago
04-09-2020, 06:49 PM
Three-quarters of a century just sounds really old!

IT IS

pelago
04-09-2020, 06:51 PM
Putting together all the pieces for rear seats for Mgoo. got a set of cushions and the tag said 1965''''' wow. same yar i drove the darn thing. has holes almost drned in both top and bottom cushion that sure looks to me like it was laced on? just dont remember was it?? para cord would work nice

pelago
04-11-2020, 07:43 PM
did the m38a1 have a smaller diameter steering wheel?

pelago
04-11-2020, 08:52 PM
EASY, YEAH MY DYING REAR END
12 hours, 7 cotter pins, no bolts not torque, just 12 hours up and down up and down, adj here adj ther, but is done parking brake

gmwillys
04-11-2020, 09:02 PM
The seat cushions should require screws and washers that mount the seat cushion to the frame. Para cord would be a good alternative to lace the covers onto the frame.

The steering wheel should be the same size as the M38 and the other Civilian Jeeps. The A1 wheel is green instead of black.

pelago
04-12-2020, 12:08 PM
the seat cushions should require screws and washers that mount the seat cushion to the frame. Para cord would be a good alternative to lace the covers onto the frame.

The steering wheel should be the same size as the m38 and the other civilian jeeps. The a1 wheel is green instead of black.

was wondering diameter

gmwillys
04-12-2020, 01:47 PM
17 1/2" for the Sheller steering wheels for M38, M38a1, M170 Ambulance version.

pelago
04-13-2020, 05:41 PM
I know the E Brake designed during wartime prep, but holy moly it is noisey, and loose as a goose, but it in i correct, wow what a monstrosity....
also am working on wipers also, have no idea what kind of vacum is needed to run thee things

bmorgil
04-14-2020, 07:41 AM
The wipers appear to be set up like the civilian Jeeps, the vacuum comes from a port on the intake manifold, and is assisted by a vacuum diaphragm on the fuel pump. The vacuum from the fuel pump provides vacuum when the motor is under load. There is a check valve that isolates the engine from the fuel pump to prevent a vacuum leak to the engine.

There is information in the Military manual par. 137 and par. 259. https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys.com/showthread.php?2277-TM9-8014-1-4-Ton-4x4-Utility-Truck-M38A1-and-1-4-Ton-4x4-Front-Line-Ambulance-M170 follow the link to the manual.

there is some talk in these links as well.

http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=440&highlight=

https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?t=303885

http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=6967

LarrBeard
04-14-2020, 01:39 PM
I know the E Brake designed during wartime prep, but holy moly it is noisey, and loose as a goose, but it in i correct, wow what a monstrosity....
also am working on wipers also, have no idea what kind of vacum is needed to run thee things

I think you've not bothered with the fording system vacuum lines, fittings and valves. There should be one line from the intake manifold to the vacuum booster on the unused half of the fuel pump, the other side goes up to the wiper motor.

pelago
04-14-2020, 10:54 PM
I think you've not bothered with the fording system vacuum lines, fittings and valves. There should be one line from the intake manifold to the vacuum booster on the unused half of the fuel pump, the other side goes up to the wiper motor.

I believe that is how i have it.
LOOKED AT THESE, WHEN I GOT THE ENIGIN OUT FOUND MOST OF THE INTERCONNECT WERE JUST CUT AND CRIMPED.
5901 5902

LOOKING AT THE PICTURES THE LOWER OUTLET THAT HAS CONSTANT VACUM I BELIEVE IS THE ONE THAT IS CONNECTED TO THE WIPER, FUELIN, FUEL OUT CORRECT. AND THE OTHER VACUM WENT TO THE PCV VALVE AND ONTO THE INTTAKE?

LarrBeard
04-15-2020, 10:44 AM
LOOKING AT THE PICTURES THE LOWER OUTLET THAT HAS CONSTANT VACUM I BELIEVE IS THE ONE THAT IS CONNECTED TO THE WIPER, FUELIN, FUEL OUT CORRECT. AND THE OTHER VACUM WENT TO THE PCV VALVE AND ONTO THE INTTAKE?[/QUOTE]

Ira:

I’ve not see one of these in person, but here is what I think is going to be the proper vacuum line routing for you:

A. The big square fitting in the middle of the picture is the fitting for the vent line system. Yours is capped off – I’d plug this line.

B. The small line at the lower right is the vacuum line that goes to the wipers and distributor. I would keep the line over to the distributor. (There is a LOT of debate over the need for a vacuum line to the distributor. The most conservative folks say that it is needed to keep the coil from cooking itself. I don't know one way or the other, but I'd err on the side of caution)

C. There is a large line at the upper left. The tee-fitting branches out upward and to the right to the PCV valve and I believe the fording valve.
The other end of this line goes back to the passenger side of the engine to the vacuum fitting on the intake manifold or carburetor base. The
line coming straight at you curves around behind the pump and is the vacuum source to the pump. Of course you can’t get to it …

D. This is the fuel pump with the manual priming handle – there were at least two styles and yours might not have the handle.

I’ve also attached a picture of a wiper motor that we saw at Toledo last year…

LarrBeard
04-15-2020, 10:59 AM
Probably TMI:

There are two vent fittings on the distributor. The upper left vent is to atmosphere, the lower right is vacuum. Note that air gets pulled past the coil...

pelago
04-23-2020, 01:04 PM
tThe maintenance manual indicates that the constant flow input at lower side of pump goes to a "T" and that goes to wipers, okay one part of "T" from pump, other section goes to wiper, the last input comes from where? vacuum at carb? would have to i think due to wipers needing more oomph during operation and that comes from intake manifold? right?. picture i posted earlier is how mine is set up wirth exception of T

5JeepsAz
05-01-2020, 06:16 AM
So where's the last vacuum connect to? And, since it's a T, wondering how it's metered. Does it matter which end either one plugs into?

pelago
05-09-2020, 02:48 PM
past 15 days horrible, back into hospital again, this time i went to civilian hosp. swollen all over places you dont want that tho happen, couldnot brath againm, admitted ti icu, and they did a complete workup, found out lots of things that the navy either ignored or missed. had to have abdomen tapped, they pulle out 4 full liters of fluid, bp vey very ow, heart not working well. but they went to work, got my blood pressure up, got o2 going and bp up where it needs to be. long and painfull. but they did another tap to see if fluid back abdominal cavity, could not find enough fluid too safely try to get out (good thing) sent home today really feeling good

gmwillys
05-09-2020, 08:50 PM
Ira,

Thank you for the update. We've been worried about you! Glad you are feeling better!

Yet another case to why our government shouldn't be in charge of our health care.... Glad you went to a civilian hospital.

okiemark
05-09-2020, 09:44 PM
Glad you are back home and feeling better.

TJones
05-10-2020, 07:25 AM
Glad your Okay Ira and back in circulation!!!

bmorgil
05-10-2020, 07:48 AM
Ira, you remain truly inspiring. May we all posses a fraction of your perseverance!

gmwillys, It is disappointing to say the least to be a tax payer, who supports our military and respects our veterans, to have to see that instead of the best treatment they may very well get the worst.

okiemark
05-10-2020, 09:13 AM
My dad was a WWII vet and he did go to the VA when I was very young to have a cyst removed which turned out good, but later on he went a few times but he told me he wasn't going back. I don't know why they don't just have vets go to their local doctors and bill it to the government like Medicare.

LarrBeard
05-10-2020, 03:45 PM
really feeling good

Things had been quiet for too long. When you're quiet, it's like back when the kids got quiet - something was up. We are sincerely glad you're wiggling around again. Don't try to do it all at once now that you're home

pelago
05-10-2020, 03:52 PM
here is most of the saga
This is difficult to write. But needs to be said.
My entire life s a Marine i was always confident that if humpty
Dumpty fell off a wall and got busted up the the US Navy would do its damndest to put
me back together, and they did on numerous occasions, Now a retired
old guy, and sometimes in failing health. Right after Christmas, i thought i
was doing good, flat stomach. 206lb 6'3" active and felt good.
Around first of Jn got sick. sitting inmy family room all of a sudden could not breath.
911 called and of to USNH Camp Lejeune NC. was admitted thru the ER.
In ICU. Navy treated symptoms, got me breathing ok and said you can go home after four days
there. five days later its worse. and i was beginning to balloon out?? 225 lbs. Again admitted
first they said pneumonia, then change minds and said it was not Did a procedure in room to tap lung,
drained 2 full liters of fluid. Ok, they said you can go home? A week later it is horrible
I weigh 249lbs. 206 to 249 in a month, one would think that might be prudent to try to find
out why. Never happened, taken to Navy for 3rd time. admitted again, after a day and half still no doctor??
then some cheerful little Intern comes in and in her best tinkerbell routine says "and how are we today"
I am pissed, this bimbo does not even know my name, I say "you dont even know my name do you"
she quickly goes to her notes, I lost it and aid get your *** out of my room. put my clothes on
and walked out. They got a bit excited about that. two young corpsman and some guy in civilian clothes
actually grabs me in parking lot. Looked at him and said. that is not a good idea. pushed him away, not gently
had to take a fifty dollar cab ride to get home. At no time did the US Navy ever say "there is something
going on and we need to find out what" never. a bit of a side bar, I still have a piece of a russian made bullet in left hip
showed up n XRAY. two doctors and a student doctor spent 25 minutes trying to let them remove the "foreign body"
from my hip. I got pissed, and said "ITS NOT A FOREIGN BODY ITS A ****ING BULLET, AND IF YOU YAHOOS
SPENT AS MUCH TIME TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHAT THE **** IS WRONG WITH ME AS YOU DO THIS WE ALL WOUL
BE BETTER OFF.
Just finished two weeks in a Civilian hosp, ICU, all kinds of results, had abdominal cavity tapped and a full 3 liters
of fluid drained, Mucho blood pressure problems and now medicines to restore me to previous health..

Heart has issues, but am on meds to restore that as much as possible. Right now feel great. active and working on hobbies
and again working on my 1952 M38A1 jeep, but am so so much better.
But this saddens me. When i was in boot mp caught pneumonia and sent to Balboa Navy hosp. Open ward
right across from me a WWI vet, very sick , he got same care as i did.
I turned 75 during this whole affair, and i can still remember the WWI vet clearly

gmwillys
05-10-2020, 09:41 PM
Due to recent experience, the Long Suffering Misses and I have found out which one of our local hospitals is nothing more then a band aid station. After spending four days with them poking, prodding, putting blood in, then drawing blood out, the sent her home with a hardy good luck. They said that they could not do anything more for her, and that was it. No recommendations on to where to go next, or even a hint on where to start. We came on a collective decision to drive to Birmingham, AL to the University of Alabama at Birmingham 's hospital. Besides the long wait in the waiting room of the ER, things went pretty fast afterwards. She spent another six days between the ICU and a step down unit, and seen more specialist in all the areas of ailment. We were very pleased with the amount of attention she was getting. The only gripe we have had is that the specialist that we had seen for the next couple of years up and got on his flying carpet and sagged out of town. Now we see the top surgeon in the department.

Long story short, glad you went to a more comprehensive hospital. We are not the same group without you on here.

okiemark
05-10-2020, 10:43 PM
I have a friend who about a year ago was telling me he was having chest pains and short of breath, had been to the doctor and she told him he had pulled a muscle and was too young to have heart problems. He was 42 at the time. I told him not to take that for an answer and that was absurd. Went to a cardiologist and next thing you he has 4 bypasses.

pelago
05-11-2020, 05:59 PM
MILESTONE DAY
ORDERED A CANVAS, WINTER, TOP AND SIDES
rear seat in (what a pain in the ***)
emergency brake in and operates
24VDC slave cable hook up for right fender, in and hooked up
(DOWN BUT NOT OUT)

i need a diagram of bow set up and then additional door set up, try to find pictures but no luck

bmorgil
05-11-2020, 06:42 PM
The emergency brake finally! What a pain that was.

pelago
05-12-2020, 08:48 AM
The emergency brake finally! What a pain that was.

still kind of is, damn thing rattles like crazy, trying to figure out how to stop/eliminate/reduce the noisy damn thing. But it do work and now i can park on a incline and not worry

LarrBeard
05-12-2020, 09:59 AM
now i can park on a incline and not worry

You don't need a piece of 4 x 4 like Miss Amy B needs for her Jeep!

bmorgil
05-12-2020, 01:15 PM
Haha! The continuing saga of Jeep E-Brakes,or lack of!

gmwillys
05-12-2020, 02:47 PM
The cylindrical spring that fits around the parking brake actuator rod should put enough tension on the rod to prevent rattling. Is the handle itself the piece that is rattling?

pelago
05-12-2020, 05:41 PM
The cylindrical spring that fits around the parking brake actuator rod should put enough tension on the rod to prevent rattling. Is the handle itself the piece that is rattling?
not hundred percent sure

pelago
05-16-2020, 12:14 PM
Forgot how the door attached to the front?? 6017

gmwillys
05-16-2020, 10:17 PM
There is a lower receiver that mounts just under the lip of the door opening. Some tubs have the hole drilled into the lip, and I've seen a couple that have not. The upper mount bolts to one of the dash bolts.

pelago
05-18-2020, 12:44 PM
Been years since have seen one, any rope guides??, how do you keep it from flopping round, photo?

gmwillys
05-18-2020, 02:12 PM
The upper mounts are shown here;

https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?t=154100

The lower mounts look like these, and you can see the bolt heads and the hole in the lower lip of the door opening;

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/lower-door-pivot-bracket-hinge-pair-fits-41-71-jeep-willys

pelago
05-23-2020, 03:23 PM
Internally in the door there seems to be more than a little steel?? Gonnna be hard to get

gmwillys
05-23-2020, 04:14 PM
The picture is of an M38, so an A1 is slightly different at the bottom mount. The door configuration itself is really close. The A1 is flat on the tub sides, (rockers/quarter panels) the door mounts within the door opening, rather than the outside of the tub.

pelago
05-24-2020, 07:23 AM
This one for sale on ebay, not getting it but good photo of steel (aint cheap either ) there are two listed both sides, get it for steel nd toss the old rotten canvas??

LarrBeard
05-24-2020, 08:11 AM
This one for sale on ebay, not getting it but good photo of steel (aint cheap either ) there are two listed both sides, get it for steel nd toss the old rotten canvas??

I found the page where they are listed.

I doubt if the plastic in the driver's door will clean up - it is probably aged and yellowed to the point that it is gone. The other seller's offer for a passenger side says it has a missing top window.

If you grabbed the two of them you would have good steel, but would still have to get camvas.

Can you get canvas once you have the frames?

pelago
05-24-2020, 09:02 AM
"Can you get canvas once you have the frames? "
YEAH FOUND A SOURCE TO MAKE NEW ONES 180.00 A SET

LarrBeard
05-24-2020, 11:12 AM
"Can you get canvas once you have the frames? "
YEAH FOUND A SOURCE TO MAKE NEW ONES 180.00 A SET

Well, since I'm giving out free advice and it's not my money - here is an opinion:

A. Buy the passenger door. It's usable and shipping is free.

B. Pass on the driver door. It's unusable and shipping is expensive. When I look at it - it shows shipping to Indiana as $60.00 - it could be more to you on the coast there.

C. When I look at how much cutting, sewing, fitting and installing zippers, grommets and fasteners are in a set of doors, $180 a set is a good pile of dollars, but it isn't unreasonable. Think of what a set of sails costs.

Free advice and worth every penny.

Have a good Memorial Day

okiemark
05-24-2020, 06:46 PM
LarrBeard, I noticed the photo of that ship. What is the story on it? As I sit here there is the only photo I know of of my dad's ship, the USS Gosper APA-170. That was an Attack Personnel Transport. It was built in 1942 I believe but some things look similar to the ship in your photo. His ship was supposed to support the Iwo Jima invasion, but they were damaged in a storm crossing the Pacific and had to return for repairs. They did, however support the Okinawa invasion and were converted to a hospital ship and then transported POWs back after WWII.

pelago
05-24-2020, 10:58 PM

this was my first ride to oki before rvn usns slow boat to china

bmorgil
05-25-2020, 05:42 AM
pelago, you were actually on a "slow boat to China"?

pelago
05-25-2020, 07:41 AM
hECK TOOK A WEEK TO GET TO HAWAII. THEN TO YOKOHAMA, THEN TO TAIWAN THEN TO OKI, TALK ABOUT LONG. GAVE US LIBERTY IN HAWAII AND YOKOHAMA. WAS IN HAWAII WHEN FILMING OF "IN HARMS WAY"
GOT A WHOLE TEN DOLLAR BILL TO SPEND IN HAWAII AND JAPAN. MET, WELL SORT OF MET MY FIRST WWII JAPANESE SOLDIER, HE CALLED US "DEVILS IN YELLOW LEGGINGS" GUY WAS PRETTY RESENTFUL, HE SAID IT IN JAPANESE AND A OLDER MARINE (WWII VET) TOLD US WHAT IT MEANT

okiemark
05-25-2020, 08:52 AM
pelago, that photo of yours looks like it was taken from the exact same spot where my dad's ship was photographed.https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A2KLfS2NzctezFQAqwBXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEy Z2pxMjVkBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMyBHZ0aWQDQzAwNzBfMQRzZW MDc2M-?p=uss+gosper+apa+170&fr=yfp-t-s&th=104.7&tw=192.4&imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ibiblio.org%2Fhyperwar%2F USN%2Fships%2Fimg%2FAPA%2FAPA-170_Gosper.gif&rurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ibiblio.org%2Fhyperwar%2FUS N%2Fships%2FAPA%2FAPA-170_Gosper.html&size=106KB&name=HyperWar%3A+USS+Gosper+%28APA-170%29&oid=1&h=284&w=520&turl=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOI P.6xyBNEtod-CmfQIn7kKYdQHaEC%26amp%3Bpid%3DApi%26rs%3D1%26c%3D 1%26qlt%3D95%26w%3D192%26h%3D104&tt=HyperWar%3A+USS+Gosper+%28APA-170%29&sigr=ppDEB7BMKdJv&sigit=EjbIFuJf26Uc&sigi=nMcH9O8vHaDC&sign=wlnDu5ZC2Nsl&sigt=wlnDu5ZC2Nsl

LarrBeard
05-25-2020, 04:17 PM
LarrBeard, I noticed the photo of that ship. What is the story on it? As I sit here there is the only photo I know of of my dad's ship, the USS Gosper APA-170. That was an Attack Personnel Transport. It was built in 1942 I believe but some things look similar to the ship in your photo. His ship was supposed to support the Iwo Jima invasion, but they were damaged in a storm crossing the Pacific and had to return for repairs. They did, however support the Okinawa invasion and were converted to a hospital ship and then transported POWs back after WWII.

The USS Gosper was a Haskell Class Attack Transport.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haskell-class_attack_transport

I served in a number of ships, but there is always one that is your "first love":

USS Shasta (AE-6) was one of seven Lassen Class ammunition ships built during WWII, with six of the seven serving up into the late 1960’s. Her 26-years of service were interrupted by 6 years of inactivity from 1946 until 1953 after which she served continuously until her last deployment in 1968. I served on that last deployment.

Unlike most large US Navy ships, Shasta and her sisters were diesel ships. At about 6,400 tons empty and 14,000 tons fully loaded they could haul a lot of ammunition and explosives a long way – they just didn’t get in a hurry! Someone asked about a “slow boat to China” – well we tended to be a slow boat to just about anywhere.

With the two Nordberg diesels turning about 180 RPM, we tooled along at 12 knots (about 15 MPH). We often joked that we could make 15-knots for a couple of hours, but then we would have to turn around and go back to pick up the pieces.

There was one other unusual feature to Shasta, in addition to the big diesels; the Lassen Class ammunition ships were some of the last Navy ships to have a riveted hull. In the picture, those “stripes” down the side are where riveted hull sections overlapped. Riveting was a labor intensive construction technique and by the time WWII was underway, most ship construction had turned to the much faster welded hull structures.

Although I was not onboard at the time, I have a classic picture of Shasta rearming the nuclear powered aircraft carrier Enterprise off the coast of Viet Nam in 1966. The folks on Enterprise had a nuclear big-head attitude and they often claimed to be “The Best in the West”. It came time for a showdown one day. Shasta had prestaged her deck with bombs, rockets, fin kits and whatever Enterprise needed and when the lines went over, rearming began from two stations forward and one station aft. It wasn’t long before the Enterprise had all of the deck edge elevators stacked with all of the stuff that they could take and they had to holler “Whoa” for a bit to let them get stuff stricken down to the magazines and storage areas. “The Best in the West” had been swamped by “The Least from the East”.

Through her last deployment, the ship’s unofficial motto was “Balls to the Wall – Shasta Cats”, the long time name for her athletic teams. When the first line would go over from us to the ship being rearmed, the rearming flag would be hoisted. The rearming flag featured a raunchy old Tomcat with, uh, rather large attributes to reflect the claim of the ship’s unofficial motto. I have wondered where the rearming flag ended up?

If you’re curious …

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Shasta_(AE-6)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_C2_ship

bmorgil
05-25-2020, 04:18 PM
[QUOTE=pelago;12551]hECK TOOK A WEEK TO GET TO HAWAII. THEN TO YOKOHAMA, THEN TO TAIWAN THEN TO OKI, TALK ABOUT LONG. GAVE US LIBERTY IN HAWAII AND YOKOHAMA. WAS IN HAWAII WHEN FILMING OF "IN HARMS WAY"
GOT A WHOLE TEN DOLLAR BILL TO SPEND IN HAWAII AND JAPAN. MET, WELL SORT OF MET MY FIRST WWII JAPANESE SOLDIER, HE CALLED US "DEVILS IN YELLOW LEGGINGS" GUY WAS PRETTY RESENTFUL, HE SAID IT IN JAPANESE AND A OLDER MARINE (WWII VET) TOLD US WHAT IT MEANT[/QU

Man that is a slow boat! 10 bucks, that probably didn't go far. That Jap Soldier must have forgotten who started that war. Thank God there are Men like you who finish them!

okiemark
05-25-2020, 04:31 PM
LarrBeard, that is a great story about your ship. My dad's ship didn't last long after the war. I found where it said it was decommissioned and scrapped in about 1947 and another source said it was put into mothballs and scrapped maybe in the 70's. Dad had a lot of stories to tell. Shot down a suicide plane. Picked up a native in an outrigger boat who was blown away from the islands by a storm. He was about to starve. Buried an English POW who was in too bad a shape to make it back home. Another man complained of head pain and they found a nail had bee driven into his head and he didn't remember it. The crew threw oranges and made a greeting band scramble coming into the port. Captain didn't like it. Japanese money laying in the streets in Manila. Seemed every time I talked to him he would mention something about the Navy I hadn't heard before. In reading the history of the Shasta, I'll bet there is a good chance my dad saw it at Okinawa.

pelago
05-26-2020, 09:06 AM
SADDEST TIME REMEMBERED, Was just toolin around in my boat and all of a sudden in Morehead City NC there sits the USS SAIPAN, but wait somethings wrong. HELL IT WAS BEING DE COMMISSIONED LHA CLASS, AND DAMN I WAS A PLANKHOLDER
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Saipan_(LHA-2)
SOMEWHERE I HAVE A PHOTO TAKEN DURING GRENADA.F ME ESCORTING (WELL SORT OF) WITH A 12 GAUGE SHOTGUN TO THE GUYS NECK, ACROSS FLIGHT LINE, HAD A BATTLE DRESSING ON MY *** DUE TO THIS SOB SHOOTING ME. NO DID NOT SHOOT HIM, WANTED TO THOUGH

gmwillys
05-26-2020, 09:48 AM
Some reason I have no trouble picturing that seen in my mind.

bmorgil
05-26-2020, 11:38 AM
Awesome history there! Grenada, there is one that was kept quiet. The Caribbean Nations called for help, and the Marines cleaned up!

gmwillys
05-26-2020, 04:08 PM
Clint Eastwood's Heartbreak Ridge was the only movie I can think of that touched on Grenada. Another bit of trivial trivia.

bmorgil
05-26-2020, 04:18 PM
Great movie. Like most Eastwood movies.

LarrBeard
05-26-2020, 05:23 PM
SADDEST TIME REMEMBERED, Was just toolin around in my boat and all of a sudden in Morehead City NC there sits the USS SAIPAN, but wait somethings wrong. HELL IT WAS BEING DE COMMISSIONED LHA CLASS, AND DAMN I WAS A PLANKHOLDER
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Saipan_(LHA-2)
SOMEWHERE I HAVE A PHOTO TAKEN DURING GRENADA.F ME ESCORTING (WELL SORT OF) WITH A 12 GAUGE SHOTGUN TO THE GUYS NECK, ACROSS FLIGHT LINE, HAD A BATTLE DRESSING ON MY *** DUE TO THIS SOB SHOOTING ME. NO DID NOT SHOOT HIM, WANTED TO THOUGH

Ira: We Hijack your threads so often, but they make starting points for so many good stories. Thanks.

There is a special pain associated with seeing a ship in which you have served being scrapped. I think some of it is how it reminds us that one of these days we are going to the scrapper as well.

In the late summer or early fall of 1967, after I had reported aboard the USS Shasta, we were tied up alongside a tender, USS Amphion, having repair and maintenance work done after the return from the WESTPAC deployment and circumnavigation of the globe. There was a ship moored between the Destroyer and Submarine piers and the main Naval Station that was obviously an inactivated ship awaiting her fate. I did some looking and I found out that she was the USS Franklin (CV-13). The USS Franklin was damaged in a Japanese air attack in March of 1945 and to this day is the most severely damaged aircraft carrier in Navy history; the USS Forrestal and USS Enterprise fires included.

I was standing the Quarterdeck watch one morning with an old Chief Boatswain’s Mate. At that time he seemed older than the Ancient Mariner – he might have been fifty years old(!).. In his dress khaki uniform, left arm loaded with service stripes with the Officer-of-the-Deck’s spyglass under his arm, I was in awe of him – I was still fairly new to the command. He was a REAL sailor to me.

As we watched, a tug came in from seaward with a ship in tow, heading up the river towards the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard. It was time for the Franklin to make her final trip up the river to Portlock Salvage in Portsmouth, VA. I don’t remember who noticed her first, but I remember I asked the old Chief; “Is that the Franklin?”

He replied “Yes son, that’s the Franklin. The last time I saw her was 1945 off Japan and I was just a kid. She was on fire, she would blow up and s**t would fly off, she would burn a while and blow up again and people and s**t would fly everywhere again. We spent a lot of the day looking for people who had been blown off. We found a lot but most of them were dead when we found them”.

It was a sobering time for a 22-year old to see a crusty old sailor stand there with tears running down his cheeks – I shed a few tears too. One of his last comments was; “Well, she’s gone now and I won’t be far behind”.

Now, fifty-plus years later as the ships of my youth have been scrapped – I fully understand the Old Chief that morning.

For more information – I am providing this link:

https://www.history.navy.mil/research/histories/ship-histories/danfs/f/franklin-v.html

I disagree with some details at the end of the Wiki. I suspect Red Star Towing delivered the USS Franklin to the Naval Base at Norfolk where she was picked over for about a year before she was towed up river. I know that some of our engineers and electricians salvaged gear from her since much of her gear was of the same vintage as ours with a LOT fewer hours of operation.

bmorgil
05-26-2020, 05:33 PM
The history you guy's capture is vast by definition!

okiemark
05-26-2020, 09:20 PM
Almost every man I knew growing up was a WWII vet. My dad and all his friends were vets. Most of them didn't mind talking about it. None of them said it was good.

pelago
05-27-2020, 09:33 AM
I have the chance to get a complete door right and left, here is the rub the steel is for a early model 3CJA wont that steel work on the m38a1, this is new steel and new canvas

here is the place, already have winter top and sides ordered

https://www.newlifecanvas.com/

5JeepsAz
05-27-2020, 08:40 PM
Did he just admit to taking by hand another man who had shot him? Outstanding.

pelago
05-27-2020, 09:07 PM
Did he just admit to taking by hand another man who had shot him? Outstanding.

heck no told the sob if he moved i would take his head off with the shotgun i had

okiemark
05-27-2020, 10:12 PM
Were 12 gauge shotguns standard equipment there?

bmorgil
05-28-2020, 05:40 AM
I am betting it was a Remington M870 Trench Gun?

Nice find on the Canvas Shop! They even have a Campsite!

pelago
05-28-2020, 07:51 PM
back to the question
will a cj3a (early) door frame complete, work in a m38a1

gmwillys
05-29-2020, 05:05 AM
After looking around the interwebs, I could not come up with a solid answer. My gut reaction is no, the 3A door openings are smaller then the A1's. I found a couple of mentions that the M38 and the M38A1s doors are interchangeable, but nothing concrete. Kaiser sells the 3A door frames, but says that they were not designed to fit either of the 38s.

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/usa-made-canvas-top-metal-door-frames-pair-fits-49-53-cj-3a

bmorgil
05-29-2020, 06:23 AM
I am pretty sure the M38A1 is based more on the CJ3B. gmwillyis will know for sure but I think the height of the door might be different.

gmwillys
05-29-2020, 02:37 PM
A 3B door will be taller, but the width may still come up a little short. A door from an early CJ5 would be spot on for the dimensions, but then you would have to recover it with the O.D. canvas. The Civilians would all be covered in vinyl

Check with these folks to see if they have a door set available.

https://www.beachwoodcanvas.com/order/productlist.cfm

I did find one place that carries the doors/frames, but it's in Europe.

http://www.canvasco.com/

pelago
06-17-2020, 02:25 PM
I hink that i have reached the limit. Not one thing left to order, new top and sides to be done end of june, got bows (damned high) and got doors covered reay to go ordered. just got to figure out how to put it all together.
oh yeah there are two things got to get, a 90 degree elbow for steel flanged pipe and a "t" for same for the windshield wipers

LarrBeard
06-17-2020, 04:42 PM
It is good to hear from you.

Things had been quiet so long some of us were sending PM service messages wondering if you had suffered another misadventure - maybe the WooHooFloo had bitten you.

Where did you find the canvas for doors and top?

I don't know if you have been reading the mail or not, but a lot of what we learned with your 24-volt system is helping out several other guys working on M38A1's.

We need to see another dog picture. That boy should be a strapping teenager by now.

gmwillys
06-17-2020, 04:48 PM
Glad you have gotten everything in order on the top and sides. Now on to your engine build! I second the pup pictures.

5JeepsAz
06-17-2020, 11:20 PM
This epic cannot end! I do believe it would be of great interest to see a picture of the final Willy's Jeep on the fly. Maybe a few words? Any chance?

pelago
06-18-2020, 12:02 PM
This epic cannot end! I do believe it would be of great interest to see a picture of the final Willy's Jeep on the fly. Maybe a few words? Any chance?

planned on doing that, 4 1/2 years work

bmorgil
06-18-2020, 04:26 PM
Can't wait Ira! An epic for sure.

I just had the same problem you had with the oil line a while back. Brand new leaking at the swivel.

pelago
06-20-2020, 06:35 AM
Can't wait Ira! An epic for sure.

I just had the same problem you had with the oil line a while back. Brand new leaking at the swivel.

actually had new custom lines fabricated. American made and they dont leak. ones i got from kaiser were chinese made pieces of leaky crap

pelago
06-20-2020, 06:40 AM
new question regarding canvas top
can i assemble the top bows or do i have to wait as i will need to thread the bows thru the canvas top? can not remember ever assembling a top for a jeep, are there pockets for the bows?

bmorgil
06-20-2020, 07:33 AM
I only ordered the line to the filter from the block by the water pump. Did your return line from the filter to the timing cover also leak? Maybe I should replace it also. Walks advertises they have "Made in USA" lines. I can't find a local craftsman to fabricate one.

gmwillys should know about the top.

gmwillys
06-20-2020, 08:19 AM
The bows can be assembled and attach them to the A1. The top will attach to the windshield, then drapes over the mid and rear bows. Then the top straps in to the rear body tail panel. There may be some buckles that go around the bows for ease in folding up.

pelago
06-20-2020, 01:28 PM
returned both of them, chinese crap

okiemark
06-20-2020, 05:30 PM
Yes, there is a lot of that. Might be cheaper, but if it doesn't work or doesn't hold up it isn't worth anything. I'm thinking that is my issue with the gauge cluster. Wish I had just bought a speedometer and bought some good quality gauges. I hate cheap gauges.

pelago
06-27-2020, 11:44 AM
TOP BOW ASSEMBLY???
THINK I AM MISSING SOMETHING. Can not find a good diagram of where the top bo assembly attaches to the body, the piece that i have in the jeep now has no welded nut, nor even a hole for the thumb screw to go in?. Actully have no idea how the bow will fit in there, end of bow is flat and has hole in it for screw, but then???

where the bow meets the body at the slanted fitting??

LarrBeard
06-27-2020, 04:03 PM
TOP BOW ASSEMBLY???
THINK I AM MISSING SOMETHING. Can not find a good diagram of where the top bo assembly attaches to the body, the piece that i have in the jeep now has no welded nut, nor even a hole for the thumb screw to go in?.

The attached picture shows the bow to body attachment a bit better that the picture you posted.

It looks like there is a bracket attached to the body with three (?) bolts. The flattened end of the bow slips into a pocket on that bracket and some sort of thumb screw locks the bow in place. If the attached thumbnail looses too much detail, I can send you a link to the original picture.

LarrBeard
06-27-2020, 04:19 PM
Mr. Google can find 'most anything if you poke around enough and go to enough dead ends.

Look at the third and fourth pictures down in this post. Very good views of how the bow fits into the bracket. The big thumbscrew goes in from inside the tub!

https://wilfreeman.wordpress.com/2018/02/16/nice-day-for-a-ride/

Here are some miscellaneous views of bow attaching hardware.

https://store.midwestmilitary.com/product-p/mwm154.htm

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/top-bow-8-piece-bracket-set-fits-52-66-m38a1

https://picclick.com/Jeep-Military-Willys-M38-M38A1-Main-Top-Bow-222303608688.html

The holes to attach the bracket and the hole for the thumbscrews might have gotten patched up at some time or another. Nothing here a drill and some touch-up paint won’t fix.

pelago
07-05-2020, 01:26 PM
bow is on mGOO. Swapped out the old fittings and put new ones in, spent 20.00 but they are correct and bow is on waiting for top.
Sure like to meet a old MSgt Motor T guy that could tell me how to eliminate the rattle for this wierd *** E brake. followed ll suggestions including increasing the tension on the op rod spring, reduced it some, but on highway over 35 rattles like hell. off road, in woods, not a problem, but on asphalt or concrete a pain in rear, what a crazy design for E brake, almost wish i used the other instead, all enclosed, could ave retrofitted a handle

pelago
07-12-2020, 01:21 PM
JAKE, in his favorite spot and favorite position. asleep on couch next to me. All 70lbs of him6275

TJones
07-12-2020, 01:32 PM
Damn pelago what are you feeding that boy he’s getting big fast:cool:
Aren’t they the best? Love my fur babies!!!

okiemark
07-12-2020, 10:02 PM
I got a little 10 year old Schnauzer that is really my wife's dog, but she think she belongs to me. Has anxiety if she doesn't know where I am.

pelago
07-13-2020, 04:05 PM
MY NEW FULL WINTER TOP AND SIDES ARRIVED TODAY, HAVE NOT TRIED IT YET. Finishing up the hoses for vacuum windshield set up, but sure is heavy canvas

LarrBeard
07-13-2020, 07:55 PM
JAKE, in his favorite spot and favorite position. asleep on couch next to me. All 70lbs of him6275

He's a good looking dog. His ears seem to have darkened up and he looks darker now that he's about a year old.

Just be glad he doesn't want to sit in your lap and love on you.

pelago
07-14-2020, 09:22 AM
your lap and love on you.

he tries

bmorgil
07-14-2020, 01:21 PM
There is nothing more relaxing than your dog laying quite. You just know all is good!

pelago
07-21-2020, 03:58 PM
NEW TOP www.newlifecanvas.com
great product at a fair price. quality workmanship, good fabric getting doors on first of aug

and a shot of wipers
6311 6312 6313

bmorgil
07-21-2020, 05:38 PM
Looking ready for the show!

I just sent them an email. They have the front cab roof I have been looking for.

gmwillys
07-21-2020, 06:47 PM
Looks great! Will have to add them to the list of quality suppliers. Your vacuum lines turned out well for the wipers.

5JeepsAz
07-21-2020, 11:38 PM
Spent sometime scavenging for a camper shell today. One version is canvas, but yours is perfection compared to the semi plastic later ones. That's a beauty.

LarrBeard
07-22-2020, 06:54 AM
You might reconsider driving that vehicle on base. It is looking so good that someone might think it belongs to some unit and try to confiscate it.

okiemark
07-22-2020, 09:15 AM
Fine work. I'd love to look at that one up close.

pelago
07-23-2020, 12:41 PM
WINDSHIELD WIPER HOOK UP
Have intake manifold available, and have constant vacuum from fuel pump. Now i cn get tubing, but have to bend it (multiple times) and even though i have the tool , but seem to kink tubing. you all think that all hose would be okay. damn tubing exp

bmorgil
07-23-2020, 03:14 PM
There is nothing wrong with hose all the way or, hose where the bends are. Are you using copper or steel? The copper is original I think and, much easier to bend. If you fill the tube with sand and plug both ends the best you can, sometimes you can get a pretty decent bend. Especially with softer tubing.

pelago
07-23-2020, 07:06 PM
probably only way to get original ones is to find them on the internet. Go to a box store and ask for a pair of 5/16th " bolts and the want to know what kind of car??? Napa has steel tubing, but looking at close to 40 bucks worth of tubing or five bucks worth of hose

pelago
07-24-2020, 06:44 AM
Just ordered total rebuild parts for spare motor.
$557.00 pistons, rings, bearings, valves (exh) gaskets and seals. Shopped around some and this is fair to me.
LOOKS LIKE WILL HAVE ABOUT $700.00 TOTAL LABOR AT MACHINE SHOP AND PARTS. NOT BAD FOR A TOTAL REBUILD (I THINK)

bmorgil
07-24-2020, 08:00 AM
Definitely a good price for the rebuild.

I ordered the windshield wiper install kit from KW. It was very pricey but I thought there must be something to it. In the end, I would have done much better at the hardware store. The tubing they sell is Copper. It bends quite easily. It is available at any hardware store. This is a little more than you need but this is the stuff that was used originally. (the same stuff you use to make a still, don't ask me how I know that) https://www.menards.com/main/plumbing/pipe-fittings/copper-pipe-tubing-fittings/50-refrigeration-copper-tubing/d04050p/p-1444436531421.htm

pelago
07-31-2020, 09:23 AM
DAMN DAMN DOUBLE DAMN
all that work on windshield wiper syste,, and it just sits there. one side moves a little the other nada
not knowing the thresgkd fir vacuum, not sure what direction to go. Seems to have good vacuum at the on/off switch, but what do i know. Heck even my 35 ford pickemup had electric

gmwillys
07-31-2020, 10:00 AM
Were the Trico motors rebuilt? If so, look at the following pdf;

https://www.mafca.com/downloads/Technical/Lubricating%20the%20Trico%20Vacuum%20Wiper.pdf

If they are the originals, then you might need this kit for the diaphragms being dried out;

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/vacuum-wiper-motor-rebuild.373932/

Or swap your existing motors out for rebuilds;

https://rebuildingtricowipers.com/

bmorgil
07-31-2020, 02:58 PM
Just ordered a NOS for my 3A from him. Nice contact gm! He still has a few NOS "Jeep" style drivers side motors left. They are expensive. He said he does not have any passenger side motors. He is no longer able to rebuild cores. He is now out of the parts he needs to restore them.

I asked him how you keep these things working as they and parts for them, are getting rare. He said, don't squirt anything in them and just use them. The more you use them he said the better.

pelago
07-31-2020, 04:16 PM
after i cool off a bit will get into the damn things,,,,,,, sounds like eye dropper for lube

pelago
08-02-2020, 03:14 PM
Got my hurricane gen set out to warm it up, check it out, and the damn thing quit. No output on the enerator, motor runs fine justno juice.............lovely......

5JeepsAz
08-02-2020, 11:42 PM
Gotta be a loose connection, right? Hit it with a coke bottle..

bmorgil
08-03-2020, 06:17 AM
If the coke bottle worked, it was probably a loose connection! It isn't something easy like an onboard breaker gone bad is it?

pelago
08-03-2020, 07:08 AM
If the coke bottle worked, it was probably a loose connection! It isn't something easy like an onboard breaker gone bad is it?

breakers do not want to react? and there was some sparks from gen side when i strted her up, me thinks it has to go in to a repair place. oh joy...
but i have a small 3kw gen set that fired up and produces, i kept these things in garage under cover each one has a dust cover and they both look brand new?? big one i dunno..... just fires up but no juice.
However broke out some camping gear and have my good stainless old fashioned coffe percolator and a (get this) a 1930 coleman camp stove where the tank is actualy spun brass!! works on reg gasoline got this and a frying pan, two dozen eggs and bacon and plenty of coffee. and plenty of puppy chow. the little 3k will run fridge and tv and a fan, at night move ext cord to bedroom and move fan

bmorgil
08-03-2020, 07:12 AM
What more could you ask for! To heck with the fussy generator, you only need so many things.

gmwillys
08-03-2020, 08:32 AM
Don't forget the intruder repellant. Your 1903 will work well for warding off any crowd.

okiemark
08-03-2020, 08:53 AM
Check the brushes. I had a Lincoln welder that did that once. They can get a little dirt or other debris in there. Maybe a bug.

pelago
08-03-2020, 10:32 AM
every damn "Torro dealer does not work on the generator side" damn... found a guy in jville that thinks its a capacitor??? maybe anyway thurs morning it goes to him. If they are a authorized dealer/repair place then they darn well should do what they say they are supposed to do, fix em when busted............

pelago
08-03-2020, 10:35 AM
Don't forget the intruder repellant. Your 1903 will work well for warding off any crowd.

last storm we had i heard my generator "going down drive, running" some yahoo was in process of stealing it. can you believe it. county sherriffe said tht these guys hit a whole bunch of people in my end of county

bmorgil
08-03-2020, 10:45 AM
Little did that guy know he needed to get a LONG way away from you!

TJones
08-03-2020, 12:26 PM
I am not sure but maybe the next county would be a safe distance to be from pelago if he had a gun rest and a cross hair on them, and depending on the firearm he decided to use the next county maybe not such a good idea either:confused::confused:

gmwillys
08-03-2020, 02:01 PM
A mad Marine and his rifle. The next county is too close.

pelago
08-03-2020, 02:17 PM
I am not sure but maybe the next county would be a safe distance to be from pelago if he had a gun rest and a cross hair on them, and depending on the firearm he decided to use the next county maybe not such a good idea either:confused::confused:
1929Nationl match, unerty 20power 4" groups at 1000 yards
1922 M2 22 target five shots into a quarter at 100 yards
original 1903A4 WWII sniper won the inaugural gold medal at first national sniper match 1900 shooters

if you can see it you can kill it

LarrBeard
08-03-2020, 02:37 PM
Don't Pee Oh an old guy who can whack you from two ZIP codes away.

pelago
08-03-2020, 04:35 PM
Don't Pee Oh an old guy who can whack you from two ZIP codes away.
I stil have the desire to compete, but dont have the stamina to do the all day grind from 0430 til after dark

LarrBeard
08-03-2020, 04:44 PM
I stil have the desire to compete, but dont have the stamina to do the all day grind from 0430 til after dark

Three of us old guys were going to make one last run at Nationals this year - we figured this would probably be the last gasp - so to speak. But -- WooHooFloo put an end to all of that.

The local club invested in electronic targets this summer and we have been able to cut an 80-round Match down to about 3 hours (with no pit pulling for shooters). That has given a couple of guys another year or so of shooting that they would not have been able to do otherwise.

gmwillys
08-03-2020, 08:31 PM
Looks like fun LarrBeard. One of my guys just opened up a gun shop for his wife to run during the week. He's on a search to find me enough parts to build me an M14, which is my platform of choice, but would love to build a 1903A4 like Ira's. I would pay to see all of you guys shoot a round!

bmorgil
08-04-2020, 06:19 AM
Man it almost happened for me, Camp Perry is close to me and Larry and crew were on their way. I was wondering if Ira would be there. Then the COVID- shut down the National Event.

I will pay to watch champions shoot! If Ira and Larry shoot in it next year, we will get you up here gm!

LarrBeard
08-04-2020, 08:55 AM
Man it almost happened for me, Camp Perry is close to me and Larry and crew were on their way. I was wondering if Ira would be there. Then the COVID- shut down the National Event.

I will pay to watch champions shoot! If Ira and Larry shoot in it next year, we will get you up here gm!

Watching a shooting match is worse than staring at grass growing or paint drying. And watching me shoot would be a comedy show.

pelago
08-05-2020, 11:34 AM
LIFE JUST GOT BETTER
POWER BACK ON
Hurricane cooking, bacon and egss coming up. old fashioned kind, eggs cooked in bcon grease fat (home health care nurse would **** were she to see it) man does not live on TOFU. Bought this stove from a estte sale from old stage coach driver that drove stage from Banning Ca t Riverside Ca. this stove not made since the twenties. real old timer that has "machined tank" still works fine and uses gasoline. also bought a unfired Colt 38/40 single action Army new in box for a grand... 1970 dollars, been offered 25k for it all original Colt, still in box one in center just above Colt with gold trigger

5JeepsAz
08-05-2020, 02:03 PM
Glad to see and read about all the good stuff. I knew a saddle guy. Had them all the way back to the beginning in two barns. I would bet you know which one of those to drag along in every situation! Runs on gasoline. Like really old guys!

pelago
08-05-2020, 02:24 PM
Glad to see and read about all the good stuff. I knew a saddle guy. Had them all the way back to the beginning in two barns. I would bet you know which one of those to drag along in every situation! Runs on gasoline. Like really old guys!
i was a buck sgt in Marines at the time and married, caught holy hell when i spent the money, few years ago she wanted to sell the colt!! said for all the grief you gave me then Hell am gonna be buried with it, cocked ready to shoot some sob that tries to get if from cold dead hands
It is truly a treasure, unfired first gen smokeless powder colt saa, got several of them and this is my prize. got my great grandads 1851 navy colt also, carried at battle of Chicamagua and Missionary ridge, he captured it at Stones River. got several of his pistols, all those in photo with exception of one i real colt.... Got a box of 38 40 but darned, want to shoot it but never had a round thru it. probaby kill the value with a round thru it

bmorgil
08-05-2020, 04:06 PM
On man oh man! Those Colts! I have always loved the SA Colt Army, what a nice set of Colts man.

I can look at the picture of that stove and go right back 50 years with my Dad. Way north in Canada, fishing for the elusive "Whitefish". Every morning you would come out of the tent and that smell of the food cooking on that stove.. Awesome stuff man. White gas in that thing right? You pump it up and build some pressure in the tank and fire it up? Man my dad would sling up some corned beef and hash and some bacon and hash browns, oh man. Classic coffee pot Ira! You are actually "livin' the dream"!

pelago
08-06-2020, 10:10 AM
How can i measure vacuum without spending money on something i will probably ony use one time. Being told i need 20inches of vaccum

bmorgil
08-06-2020, 12:40 PM
Under no load and high idle over 1500 rpm, you should easily have 20 inches. If your holding the RPM up around 1500 and the wipers aren't working, somethings up. I think you should have plenty of vacuum to run them. You have a good running engine. I am sure it has sufficient vacuum. In addition the military fuel pump has an auxiliary vacuum pump, running on top of the engine vacuum. When you pull the hose off at the wiper with the motor running can you feel good vacuum? Mine tugs on your finger tip fairly well. If you cant feel good vacuum at the wiper, something is amiss.

pelago
08-06-2020, 01:37 PM
Mine tugs on your finger tip fairly well.
yES, AND THE THING STAYS ON FINGER ALL BY ITSELF, AND BOTH MOTORS ARE RESISTANT TO MOVE. ONE MOTOR GOES ONE WAY, THEN STOPS AND WILL NOT RETURN THE OTHER DIRECTION

bmorgil
08-06-2020, 06:10 PM
I bought a NOS military surplus wiper motor. It was still all wrapped up in wax paper and looked pretty well preserved. It did the same as you describe. It started to go if I pushed on it, then it was slow and would not return again ever. I got a hold of the guy Geoff and Larry recommended. https://rebuildingtricowipers.com/ He said the vacuum wiper motors need to be operated "frequently" to keep them alive and never squirt anything into them. An interesting comment since I have read on the internet and in some re-published document, that you should squirt something in them. Anyway, I know my military surplus looked like it hadn't been "frequented" for about 70+ years. I ordered a NOS from him that he "goes through" and tests out ($$$.$$). He said he only had drivers side motors left, and no parts to rebuild them any more.

5JeepsAz
08-06-2020, 10:37 PM
Those battles in the days when folks stepped into it and nary a one stayed silent or stepped lightly, in that particular fight for our motherland, respects to our first neighbors here long before us. I guarantee nothing manufactured in 2020 will be so valued or valuable, nor should be, 150 years hence, when the story of our time is told, as those old priceless armaments. My respect for the history held in those barrels, I guess they might bark it out if asked, makes the marrow in my bones sing deep and patriotic hymns! We once fought for unity, against all comers, winning it. Those coffee mornings with dad and some right tasty eggs the fruits of the victory earned by generations who were up for the fight to preserve a more perfect union, where all felt inalienable rights are worth protecting, especially keeping your brothers free at the cost of your own breath because Americans. And I'm glad you are showing the way with this motorized contraption to wash windscreens! That's ahead for my '64. Vacuum, man, it just ain't there when you need it..

pelago
08-07-2020, 07:39 AM
6393 6394 6395
My grand dad used the 03 WWI, I used the m14 (until they intoed the m16)
years ago i bought a 03 that someone had clumsily tried to sporterize it. barrel was in great shape but all wood wa crap. new stock, bedded it, pput on winchester style safety, old weaver 6 power, timney trigger, man does it shoot those old remington barrel were hot, gave it to my son. built up a 1916 K98 an turned it into a sporter and gave that to oldest grandson, it shoots great shilen barrel, weaver K6, timney trigger, bedded it and also put on winchester style safety. am building a 3rd one for other grandson 1916 small ring model 98, shillen barrel for swede mauser 6.5, bedded and lot of stock work, it goes to him this summer. weapons of war now for peaceful use

gmwillys
08-07-2020, 08:20 AM
Pelago,

Your gunsmithing skills are top notch. Your rifles are museum quality pieces of art, and will be cherished for generations of your family.

I made a vacuum gage years ago for charging A/C systems in heavy equipment. It consisted of a sheet of plywood and some clear plastic tubing. The tubing was mounted to the board in a big U shape and then filled half way with colored water. You put a vacuum pump on the A/C system, with the tubing in line to the low side. The board was graduated in inches, so when you pulled a vacuum and held it, you could determine if you had a leak. Now a days, they have fancy machines that do it all for you. The same can be done for checking engine vacuum, but you must ensure that you have enough head space to prevent the water from getting ingested in the intake. The finger method works just as well for this purpose.

okiemark
08-07-2020, 09:19 AM
That is very impressive gunsmithing.

pelago
08-15-2020, 01:34 PM
UPDATE ON WINDSHIELD WIPERS
Broke down and got a vacuum meter. coming off the "T" that joins the fuel pump vacuum and the intake manifold vacuum I had 20inches of vacuum (mike at Kaiser said it needs twenty inches to run") then it went to a off/on switch. at the engine side of the switch got 20 inches, at the other side going to the actual motors got less than 14inches. have found a new switch (lousy 28 bucks) waiting to see. if still does not work then back to Kaiser it goes. according to Mike at kaiser that is not enought to run motors

bmorgil
08-15-2020, 03:25 PM
I can tell you mine runs very fast with 20 and pretty good still at 16. About as fast as a 70's car on slow, with the motor at idle. I think 20 is a bunch. It should have no trouble running at 20 inches of mercury.

pelago
08-15-2020, 10:18 PM
I can tell you mine runs very fast with 20 and pretty good still at 16. About as fast as a 70's car on slow, with the motor at idle. I think 20 is a bunch. It should have no trouble running at 20 inches of mercury.

damn.... guess got to try the brake fluid lube then

5JeepsAz
08-16-2020, 02:06 AM
Hoping this gets solved. I was watching a YouTube resto, reminded of the very beginning parts of this build. The guy goes to fix one thing and three other things need fixed. would be nice to see it work out easily this time for Magoo, given the distance covered so far

pelago
08-16-2020, 01:43 PM
Hoping this gets solved. I was watching a YouTube resto, reminded of the very beginning parts of this build. The guy goes to fix one thing and three other things need fixed. would be nice to see it work out easily this time for Magoo, given the distance covered so far

if you might be a betting man, then cover my bet. IT WILL WORK, not so sure how it is gonna get fixed, but its gonna. i sent one motor in to kaiser and they supposedly rebuilt it, but it dont move period. that one will go back to them. they have always stood behind their products and work and i have no doubt that they will back it up

going back in time, the hardest thing is started with was getting 70yr old bolts free, Many times i said "what in the heck have you gotten yourself into" when i said the hell with getting them free and just cut the buggers off things got somewhat easier. but then again the total rebuild all came down to one thing and one thing only. IT WAS ONE BOLT AND NUT AT A TIME, NO MORE NO LESS

mrgrtt123
08-16-2020, 07:37 PM
It seems like you are having a productive day modifying this car. I really hope that it will work since this project have kept you busy for a long time.

5JeepsAz
08-19-2020, 11:17 AM
IT WAS ONE BOLT AND NUT AT A TIME, NO MORE NO LESS

A spin on your whole thread here. version of this I heard growing up was "touch it once". Then later in life "Do the right thing, do the thing right" is one I heard in the 1990's. Then I got my vintage vehicle and forgot everything. The number of things I did *** backwards is shameful. But this gem of your wisdom helps "keep the shiny side up and the greasy side down". One bolt at a time, no more, no less! I sure hope the darn thing works, we need wiper washers in these times to see clearly what lies ahead!

pelago
08-20-2020, 09:20 AM
it was one bolt and nut at a time, no more no less

a spin on your whole thread here. Version of this i heard growing up was "touch it once". Then later in life "do the right thing, do the thing right" is one i heard in the 1990's. Then i got my vintage vehicle and forgot everything. The number of things i did *** backwards is shameful. But this gem of your wisdom helps "keep the shiny side up and the greasy side down". One bolt at a time, no more, no less! I sure hope the darn thing works, we need wiper washers in these times to see clearly what lies ahead!
thanks.
Oneof the reasons i want the wipers other than the fact it came with them and the darn things worked once, is that i am putting full top sides and doors on the jeep. That way can have my buddy jake go with me fishing or whatever without putting a harness on him and tying his butt down. Full doors should do that
6445 6446

bmorgil
08-20-2020, 03:27 PM
Man that is a super nice representation of times gone by! Nice M38A1 Ira!

Now are you telling me that big boy wont sit right in the back off your right shoulder? That would be a good spot for a Wing-man. He would have your 3 and your 6.