PDA

View Full Version : L6-226 Motor Questions

rking1688
05-28-2016, 07:45 PM
Recently purchased a '62 Willys Truck that has the 226 motor in it. This will be my first restoration/fixer upper truck I've ever done. Couple of quick questions on the motor:

1. Is it able to ford through water like the Tornado's in the Kaiser M715?
2. Is it okay to run modern unleaded gas in it?
3. Were there any major mechanical issue with them I should be on the look at for as I progress?

Thanks,
Ryan

LarrBeard
05-29-2016, 04:35 PM
[QUOTE=rking1688;2919]Recently purchased a '62 Willys Truck that has the 226 motor in it. This will be my first restoration/fixer upper truck I've ever done. Couple of quick questions on the motor:

1. Is it able to ford through water like the Tornado's in the Kaiser M715?

Fording is more than just a motor issue. Water into the distributor isn't a good idea and the 226 distributor wasn't waterproof by any means. Fording has other issues, mainly rear (and front) axle issues. If a truck gets axle-hole deep (that's a pun...), water can get past seals (especially old seals...) and contaminate differential lube. Many of the older Willys shop manuals suggest that if you get into water over the axle, flush the rear end/transfer case with kerosene and relubricate.

Oh yes, if you're in water over the exhaust - don't kill the engine.. It makes them hard to restart...