PDA

View Full Version : restoration, brake lines and speedometer cable

pelago
06-05-2016, 07:25 AM
if brake lines are removed can they be blown out and maybe have some cleaner in them and then blown out with air compressor??? how can a speedometer cable be restored??

LarrBeard
06-05-2016, 03:54 PM
if brake lines are removed can they be blown out and maybe have some cleaner in them and then blown out with air compressor??? how can a speedometer cable be restored??

A. You can clean up brake lines as you describe. Now, the caution. Brake lines can have rusty spots (aka pin-holes) so give them a good cleaning up on the outside as well. Watch for kinks. Second, inspect the flared ends where the fittings seat to catch little splits there that leak.

B. Speedometer cables are do-overs if there are frayed or broken wires. New cables, that you can cut to length with crimp on ends, are readily available from auto parts stores for about 10 bucks or less. Watch the length - you may have to try several times to get the length just right.

If there aren't little 'fish-hook' broken wires, and if the cable is flexible and limber; clean it up and lubricate with a light grease. Be sure to clean out the flexible housing as well -it's amazing how much crud ends up in there.

pelago
06-05-2016, 09:08 PM
THANKS,,,that was pretty much what i figured to do. since i have two of these critters i am removing all of the dash items to hold until the dash is cleaned and painted. when i took off the instruments they all seemed to be in working order, but all of the glass is cracked, anyone ever just been able to replace glass i like the speedometer with the 15K miles on it, and dam if they aint expensive in 24volt configuration.
pretty soon i will have on frame down to the bare frame to be sandblasted and repainted, then the "BUILD" starts