PDA

View Full Version : New guy. First project. Any assistance is appreciated.

dtu2179
06-16-2016, 10:06 AM
Hello everyone. First post. I am planning on doing a build at some pointy in the near future and can’t quite seem to figure out how I want to get started.

My goal is to build a MB or MB look alike from parts that I can get ahold of that I can have some fun with on the weekends. I am ok with the fact that many of the parts may not be “original,” but I would like to maintain the look.

So the question was T-90 or T84? It seems that from a functional standpoint the T-90 is the way to go, but it apparently brings with it some other issues; such as, rear axle/drive shaft, transmission support cross member and body.

So, my original plan (option 1) was to get a CJ2A frame and drive train and put the machinegun mount support on the frame and get the MD Juan body that fits that combination so it would look like an MB but have the benefit of the “better” transmission.

Then I thought, this mix match might present some other unforeseen issues with parts compatibility and may create more issues than it solves.

Option 2 was to attempt to find a MB that at least had a serviceable engine and salvageable frame and build it up piece by piece from there. The finding the engine part seems to be the biggest sticking point.

I found this forum and figured that you gentleman would be the ones to pose this quandary to. So, what say you?

Once I get this figured out I will need to acquire a project jeep/parts. I am in the Baltimore area, so if anyone is somewhat close and has something like this for sale I may be interested.

Any input is appreciated.

pelago
06-16-2016, 03:59 PM
not sure where you are but in the not too distant future i will have a complete frame, front and rear axle and engine for sale, throw the body in

dtu2179
06-16-2016, 08:53 PM
not sure where you are but in the not too distant future i will have a complete frame, front and rear axle and engine for sale, throw the body in

I'm in Essex. Zip is 21221. I am interested. Thanks for the response.

dtu2179
06-27-2016, 04:16 PM
Anyone... Bueller? Bueller?