PDA

View Full Version : Master Cylinder

George
06-29-2016, 07:17 AM
I'm George and I'm rebuilding a 1946 Cj2a from the frame up. Right now a brake system question. I have 11" drum brakes. Do I need a dual master cylinder? Thanks to anyone who can weigh in.

LarrBeard
07-01-2016, 06:55 AM
'Mornin' George;

I'm not an expert, or any kind of spurt, on the little Jeeps, but as I looked at what comes in the 11" upgrade kits, they include larger wheel cylinders for the fronts, but none of them I saw changed the original master cylinder to a dual master cylinder. A one-holer seems good-to-go.

But - others may have different opinions...

Wrenchbender
07-06-2016, 11:17 AM
A duel master is safer as it splits the system to two separate systems, thus having a backup in case of a failure. as long as your single has enough volume of fluid in the piston you should be ok.

Rick Simpson
04-21-2021, 05:15 PM
New member: will the duel Master Cylinder fit with the other item for disk brake conversion at the same location on CJ2?

5JeepsAz
04-21-2021, 07:32 PM
beware those one holes. thats all you got. they did work for decades though. the dual ones are large though so the fitment question is a good one. I'd wonder about the final solution: is your final solution a resto mod for driving! or historical accuracy.?

bmorgil
04-22-2021, 08:02 AM
New member: will the duel Master Cylinder fit with the other item for disk brake conversion at the same location on CJ2?

Rick, I am not sure of your question but, I think this may help. When converting to the dual master cylinder use the kit. https://www.kaiserwillys.com/dual-reservoir-master-cylinder-conversion-kit-fits-41-71-jeep Included are the brackets and parts needed to make the dual master cylinder bolt into the original location.