PDA

View Full Version : 1955 cj3b

yoopone
09-23-2016, 10:27 AM
About 4 months ago, 12 of my fellow co-workers gifted me with a fully restored CJ3B. Beautiful restore. The gift ws for the success we have had with the company I started 34 years ago and the success everyone has had as a result. I was blown away by the gift, very cool. I have been a Jeep guy forever. I had 4 TJ's and one YJ at the time of the gift. Have since sold one of the TJ's.

My question is after rooting through the Jeep beginning to learn it and understand what makes it tick I discovered the engine is a Go Devil and not a Hurricane. Would this be something common someone would do when restoring a 55 with a Hurricane if they could not find a good Hurricane or the on they had was beyond repair. My CJ3B obviously has the tall hood to accommodate the Hurricane. The guys bought it from a broker in Chicago who advertised it as having a Hurricane in it. I am not unhappy as the Go Devil in it runs perfect. Just curious if anyone has seen this setup before. Thanks in advance.

LarrBeard
09-23-2016, 07:55 PM
... I discovered the engine is a Go Devil and not a Hurricane. Would this be something common someone would do when restoring a 55 with a Hurricane if they could not find a good Hurricane or the on they had was beyond repair.

Congratulations on having a bunch of guys who would go to that much trouble for even a well liked boss. You probably undersold yourself with attributing it to business success. Even successful a$$%^les don't get presents that nice.

I suspect you hit the answer right on the head. When you need to replace an engine, you go with what you can afford and what you can find. On my '48 2WD truck, back in '73 when the last flathead (L-head 134) got to the end of the road, I found a used F-head laying in a barnyard and grabbed it. It took some very minor modifications (I think I had to change a flywheel or something - it's been a while), but you go with what you can get. So, it ain't original, but it's still Willys-Overland - not some GM, FOMOCO or MOPAR graft in!

I don't think the L-head "60 HP" vs, F-head "70 HP" will make any difference in the little CJ.

Congratulations again.

yoopone
09-24-2016, 04:41 PM
Congratulations on having a bunch of guys who would go to that much trouble for even a well liked boss. You probably undersold yourself with attributing it to business success. Even successful a$$%^les don't get presents that nice.

I suspect you hit the answer right on the head. When you need to replace an engine, you go with what you can afford and what you can find. On my '48 2WD truck, back in '73 when the last flathead (L-head 134) got to the end of the road, I found a used F-head laying in a barnyard and grabbed it. It took some very minor modifications (I think I had to change a flywheel or something - it's been a while), but you go with what you can get. So, it ain't original, but it's still Willys-Overland - not some GM, FOMOCO or MOPAR graft in!

I don't think the L-head "60 HP" vs, F-head "70 HP" will make any difference in the little CJ.

Congratulations again.

Thank you for your reply. I will get up to speed on these guys. Such cool, simple machines.

Your truck is awesome looking!!