PDA

View Full Version : Warn Overdrive Removal

Walter
03-25-2017, 09:47 AM
I need help! I'm rebuilding a 1955 CJ5 that has a WARN ALL-RANGE OVERDRIVE unit that I need to remove. I have removed the aluminum portion from the rear of the transfer case but can't figure out how to remove the portion that is on the transmission main shaft that is inside the transfer case case. All the instructions I've read online say to remove an internal snap ring and nut. My unit doesn't have anything like that. Any suggestions? Thanks for any help

Walter Riggan
USAF Retired

LarrBeard
03-27-2017, 12:49 PM
You might try the CJ Blog - those folks have run into just about everything at one time or another.

Joe Brancato
10-09-2017, 10:07 AM
In the very center, should be a square shaped snap ring, that holds in a square-ish locking piece. These are remove to allow removal of the large black drive gear (26 or 29 tooth) that replaced the original gear. It is now removed using a 1/2 inch extension. The extension goes inside the center of the gear and you turn the nut to the left. I'll look for some pictures. Most of what I have are aged pictures from when I did this 30-35 years ago. You might be able to Google. If not, I'll search the web for you.

I need help! I'm rebuilding a 1955 CJ5 that has a WARN ALL-RANGE OVERDRIVE unit that I need to remove. I have removed the aluminum portion from the rear of the transfer case but can't figure out how to remove the portion that is on the transmission main shaft that is inside the transfer case case. All the instructions I've read online say to remove an internal snap ring and nut. My unit doesn't have anything like that. Any suggestions? Thanks for any help

Walter Riggan
USAF Retired

lessonstar
01-18-2018, 01:50 AM
Gently pry the overdrive case away from the transfer case. Keep in mind that the gasket sealer and the bearing that rides in the planetary hub assembly may fight a bit. You must remove the star shaped snap ring with some needle nose pliers. Then remove the the star washer (a 3/8" socket extension helps a little).