PDA

View Full Version : 1963 cj5 Hello! Need brake advice

WillyJeep1963
06-12-2017, 07:58 PM
Hello, new to this forum, but owned my cj for past 13 years, No problems with it, really, but now I'd like to do a complete brake job, maybe add front disks if possible??? an maybe a booster, even if I mostly have to keep all drums. Any brake advice appreciated!

LarrBeard
06-13-2017, 06:59 AM
Two Comments:

A. The original hydraulic brakes, if they are properly maintained, do everything needed to stop that little CJ-5. Just an opinion - discs are an overkill.

B. Go get the KWAS catalog - they have every brake part you would ever need - even a disc brake upgrade kit if you want to go that way.

WillyJeep1963
06-14-2017, 08:51 PM
Two Comments:

A. The original hydraulic brakes, if they are properly maintained, do everything needed to stop that little CJ-5. Just an opinion - discs are an overkill.

B. Go get the KWAS catalog - they have every brake part you would ever need - even a disc brake upgrade kit if you want to go that way.

Thanks LB. I'm leaning toward just a complete drum & shoe overhaul. Although I think I'll include a dual master & booster. Long term, if the gearing can stand it, I'd like to replace 4 cyl with in-line 6 or mayby buick v-6. So I want it to stop well.

LarrBeard
06-15-2017, 08:10 AM
You wrote:

" if the gearing can stand it, I'd like to replace 4 cyl with in-line 6 or mayby buick v-6."

As far as pure strength is concerned, the gearing can stand it. The issue with these little guys is that the standard gear ratio for the differentials was 5.38:1. The larger engines may deliver more torque, but they are still going to be hi-RPM if you want to cruise at 55 or 60 MPH.

Good luck!
"

WillyJeep1963
06-17-2017, 08:34 AM
Thanks for letting me know!