PDA

View Full Version : Greasy Brakes !!

WillyJeep1963
06-17-2017, 05:30 PM

Removed my front locking hub, then9" drum and found a whole lotta brearing grease on the shoes & drum and entire brake mechanism No wonder I can't stop. How do I prevent the grease from getting on the brakes?

LarrBeard
06-21-2017, 07:07 AM
In the two pictures that show the bearing on the front wheel spindle, I do not see a grease seal behind the bearing. I would guess that someone (?) left out a seal or it is badly worn. I am not that familiar with the "new" or "little"Jeeps, but there should be a grease seal behind that bearing (But I have been known to be wrong...).

The Dana 25/27 blown-up diagram in the KWAS catalog shows a front wheel hub oil seal behind that bearing cone

WillyJeep1963
06-21-2017, 09:07 PM
Thanks for helping. The inner bearing did have a seal. I've found the culprit, though. I'd stupidly filled the steering knukle w/ oil rather than grease. The oil made it's way through the spindle and reached the brakes ... cost myself some repairs

LarrBeard
06-22-2017, 10:09 AM
In the immortal words of Pogo; "We have met the enemy and they are us".

My truck is a 2WD, so I don't get to experience the pleasure of steering knuckles - but on some of the other websites I read about a concoction called "knuckle pudding" which is a mixture of different lubricants. That might be an option - once the seal gets put back in place.

WillyJeep1963
06-24-2017, 07:01 AM
Thanks! Nice truck, btw