PDA

View Full Version : Ham's '48 Truck - Second Summer

LarrBeard
07-12-2017, 08:12 AM
We're into the second summer of parades and local festivals and car shows.

At the Woodburn, IN Summer Fest there were about 8 "new" Jeeps, a local club, that gathered down at the north end of the display area. I had arrived earlier and had parked in area that filled up as people arrived.

I made the observation that the "kids" (the new Jeeps) didn't want to hang out with great grandpa sixty-times removed; just like family reunions.

But - the '48 is still turning heads and generating oohs and aahs. Next stop - New Haven to celebrate the "Brew Haven" Cruise-In.

Joe Brancato
09-18-2017, 11:54 AM
Gorgeous!!! More pix please? Interior shots would be appreciated.

Very nice.

My Willys Vehicles
http://www.airtanksforsale.com/Willys/

pelago
09-18-2017, 08:11 PM
cool paint job, really looks classic.. i am hoping to drive my M38A1 in Veterans day parade 2018 60 yrs after Khe Sahn

LarrBeard
09-19-2017, 10:22 AM
The paint is the original color - Tunisian Red.

The official color list for 1948 reads like a list of WWII battles; Jungle Green, Manila Blue, Normandy Blue, Olive Drab(!!!!! - yuk), Tarawa Green (why would anyone want to be reminded of Tarawa, bloody Tarawa), Tropical Silver, Wake Ivory and of course my favorite Tunisian Red. Willys-Overland played the veteran card as heavily as they could.

It turned out that Tunisian Red is an American Motors color that you can mix from a lot of sources. We found a place under one of the headlight bucket tabs that had neither been faded by the sun nor repainted in 1965 that we used for a color match. Now, not to rely on our own opinion, we had our wives look at color chips and they both agreed that we had the right color - so we were safe.

pelago
09-19-2017, 10:47 AM
COOL ABOUT GETTING WIVES INVOLVED, needed a color for Guadalcanal? was there a color for malaria and dysentery, and scared shitless???