PDA

View Full Version : Seat option

51 CJ3
01-14-2018, 04:01 PM
I implied in another thread I didn’t care for seats in my CJ3A. They are oversized buckets mounted to chopped up original frames and there was no way a person could slide their legs under the steering wheel. I didn’t want to pay the prices seat parts bring but I got this idea from another forum this morning so this afternoon I fixed the driver’s seat for free. Now I just have to keep an eye out for another at a garage sale so I can do the other side.

gmwillys
01-16-2018, 06:21 AM
Another cheap fix would be to find a set of boat seats. I used a set of boat seat cushions on my original repaired frames, (the legs on the driver's seat were rotten, so I found another seat frame that was rotten on the upper seat back). It gives enough room to slide in under the steering wheel, and looks almost authentic.

51 CJ3
01-16-2018, 09:10 AM
Actually, that is a boat seat that I have been dragging around unused for 20+ years. It was a clamp on model I bought to use on a jon boat I use to own. I don’t have any metal handy to repair my old frames let alone make new ones so I removed the clamp and welded the seat to what’s left of the frame. I hope to drive that jeep a little this week (if I guessed right on fit, the new wheels should be in tomorrow) and I wanted something acceptable to sit on.

I like the way yours turned out. I will have to keep them in mind when I get ready to do something more permanent.